Anyone know what this spoiler "notch" is for?

Paul Henley

Club Member
Hi All
I received a phone call from the body shop today regarding the two rear spoilers that provided for painting and fitting to my car. They were getting them prepped for priming and inquired if I still required the "slots" left of filled? They were referring to a slot/groove, almost identical in size and position on both spoilers. I was unaware there was such a thing on the spoiler, and they sent the attached pics to point it out. It's positioned on the top face of the spoiler just down from where the tailgate lock recess is positioned on the edge facing the tailgate glass (if that makes sense). I'd never noticed it before and have no idea what its for, I'm assuming it is original, given its on both spoilers from 2 different cars and was manufactured into the spoiler when produced. Can anyone else look at their spoiler and confirm that it's there and offer any explanation as to why its there and what its purpose is?
Thanks in advance,
Paul

Attachments

• P1010297.jpg
    P1010297.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 118
  • P1010298.jpg
    P1010298.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 105
  • P1010299.jpg
    P1010299.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 103

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I am going to guess.

On my standard '73 car there was a spoiler however when I removed it to look underneath there were holes (with rivets/blanks) where the emblem would be on a car without a spoiler. Perhaps the 'cut-out' aligns with one of the rivets?

Long-shot I know!

That then got me thinking about the holes used to mount the spoiler - are they drilled after the hatch is made, depending on the market it's sold to?

Attachments

• IMAG2027.jpg
    IMAG2027.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Henley

Club Member
Hi Rob, you can see the mounting bolts on one of the spoilers in one of the pics so I don't think so, but thanks for the suggestion.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Are you sure they're not there to simply let water through? I'm not sure how tight the spoiler is fitted to the hatch ...

Paul Henley

Club Member
Yeah I thought that might be a possibility, but there only appears to be one on top, but not one on the bottom, so the water would only build up inside?

toopy

Club Member
Can't say I've ever seen a notch on any spoiler on any car!

Perhaps could just be coincidence that both have been damaged in approx same place :unsure:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Rob, you can see the mounting bolts on one of the spoilers in one of the pics so I don't think so, but thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Imustaveit, you misunderstood, I thought the 'cut-out' may be just to clear one of the blanking rivets inserted if a spoiler was fitted. I mentioned the mounting holes because I was thinking all hatches may have been produced with emblem holes and then the mounting holes for a spolier inserted later if needed for the market it was sold in.

Anyway I think all spoilers have the cut-away (look closely at this pic) . I don't think it's to let water through because they had a foam-type seal between the spoiler and hatch.

Attachments

• IMAG2028.jpg
    IMAG2028.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43

Paul Henley

Club Member
Rob, that's great thanks. My original Euro tailgates had no emblem holes in them and I've had to have my replacement USA tailgate holes welded up, regardless why they are there, you've confirmed they should be there :thumbs:

uk66fastback

Club Member
Maybe they had to be there for the manufacturing process etc (guessing).

On my 944 there are notches in the rear spoiler to aid water draining but they're a completely different design of course ...

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
Is the notch an air pressure vent hole ? I have a rear spoiler (with this notch) in my garage but no spoiler on my car. The spoiler fits to the hatch with the end bits overhanging the rear wings ? Does air enter the innards of the spoiler through the end overhangs ? If there was no vent hole would air pressure build up inside the spoiler and put stress on the mounting points?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
.............My original Euro tailgates had no emblem holes in them..........

Are you sure? Could they have been filled or was the hatch still with it's original paint.

I'd be curious to know from anyone really because my car was very very original and yet it had the holes for the emblems - why?

Just to clarify - the notch is only on the side of the car where the emblems would be isn't it?

Anyway perhaps I'm concerning myself too much - I don't even have the car now.

Paul Henley

Club Member
"Whether or not they 'should' be there - you do what you want with YOUR spoiler !"

Your right Sean, it is and I will, and I want it to be standard.

"Is the notch an air pressure vent hole ?"

It's as good a reason as any nospark, but even though there is rubber all round the spoiler including the ends, I'm guessing its not airtight.

"Are you sure? Could they have been filled or was the hatch still with it's original paint."

Rob, certainly on the tailgate that came off the car that I'm certain was the original one from new. As below

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 38

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I have those holes too!

When I saw them my reaction was that they are there to allow the water to drain from behind the spoiler. I don't see the point of reducing air pressure given it's designed to provide down force, but that is my ill informed personal opinion.