anyone know of this 260z??

240zlover14

Forum User
Im going back tomorrow to potentially buy it and this time taking my friend who knows about classics and what to look out for.

To my inexperienced eye it looked immaculate. However it doesn't come with any documents or much evidence of work done due to the existing owner unable to retrieve this info from the guy he bought from. Apparently there was a mix up and the previous owner was supposed to send the documents and ended up becoming difficult. According to the existing owner he had seen all this info and pics of work done.

Would an example like this require such documents and history to warrant the price?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Does your mate know Datsun Zs?

Have a look here too:

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24965

It looks a decent car to be honest but it's LHD - are you happy with that? It will affect it's value in the UK.

PM me with what you are considering paying.

It's been for sale for a good while - months.

Rob

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Just a few points from looking at the pics:

It looks a very 'straight' car.

What is that rectangular hole in the passenger sill?

Non-standard carbs.

Gear lever gaiter missing (minor issue) but why is it missing?

Non-standard trim, steering wheel, front valance, wheels, fuel pump - quite usual.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Badges missing ,sill trims missing etc
Documents missing ,history missing.

Horrible blue rocker cover !!!!!!

I always tell people to look at as many Datsuns as they can before buying one and do your homework.

richiep

Club Member
This car has been discussed several times over the last 18 months with the price going up and down and limited buying interest. It was for sale for ages before it's current seller bought it at a strong price for a LHD 260z in a less appealing non-original colour. The original auction when it first arrived in the U.K. showed the respray - it did have a bare metal respray done, but it was only exterior body panels and wasn't trim off or glass out if I remember rightly. here's a couple of discussions:

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25416&highlight=260z+black+bare

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25668&highlight=260z+black+bare

As Rob notes, your friend may know classics, but does he know Datsun Zs? If not, be careful about applying generalised assessments as you could be missing important details that affect whether it's a good buy or not. See Moggy's comments for starters. See more Zs before committing to one.

240zlover14

Forum User
so pleased i mentioned this to you guys and might of saved me from what i though was a bargain! I thought i was on a winner by getting the price down to 19k!!! I guess this is too much for a lhd 260z?

johnymd

Club Member
Valuing a car is not easy. It's worth what someone wants to pay for it. If you are buying a car to keep and not an investment then the price you pay doesn't matter. If you pay too much then so what. At least you will have a car that you can enjoy now and for many years to come.

I remember the original pictures of when it was painted and I would not think you will be chasing rust and spending a fortune on repairs so the car is worth having. I get the impression it had a back to metal external repaint and not a full restoration. If it was a rust free car to start with then I would prefer this to a fully restored shell as it will still retain a lot of factory coatings and sound deadening.

At the end of the day, if you like the car then its a car worth buying at the right price which is......

johnymd

Club Member
I wasn't going to put a price but to give you a rough guide and IMO I think it is worth £16-18. But if you pay more then so be it. At the end of the day I don't think you could go wrong with this car but you will need to have a good look over it, as with all Zeds. Unless they are cheap enough to take a chance.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
I think it may belong to a member on here, can't remember who though ?
Sean ? Did your French mate check this out ?
Looks like very well priced.
Anyone seen it in the metal ?
Yellow car that is......

johnymd

Club Member
Yes it is a members car. I remember when he bought it. Looks superb in one of the best colours. Not seen it personally but I'm told it's a nice car. Worth a look. Could do with some high res pictures.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Walk away,for one it's a left hooker and its a 260 a 240 is allways gonner be worth a little bit more because the 240 was the start of Zeds,the bloke can't cum up with the documentation of work don,bottom line,if that is worth £19 then that puts a Price of £35000 on my 260 and even more on some other people's Zeds,Think not some how,have patience and the right Zed will come up

240zlover14

Forum User
Ive walked away from the 260z in black

The yellow is nice and ive been in contact. Hes sent me more pics but quality is poor (of pics).

The only problem being is a valve stem leak? Easy job and head off?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ive walked away from the 260z in black

The yellow is nice and ive been in contact. Hes sent me more pics but quality is poor (of pics).

The only problem being is a valve stem leak? Easy job and head off?

Is he sure that is the problem? If so why hasn't he done it?

I like this car, if it's not rusty it's worth serious consideration.