Antiroll bar movement ?

Wyn

Club Member
Nice n simple one for you
On a road going Z so no jumps or rally lark how much would you expect the front antiroll bar to move up n down in its central most point.
ie measured from straight under the crank pulley/ sump ?
Basically I want to mount a crank sensor under the crank pulley but the frt roll bar runs very close to it.
How much would you say would be a safe gap between a roll bar and anything else ?

racer

Club Member
I guess it depends on what mounting bushes your using and how big the sway bar is.
Is it totally straight in the mid section between the mounting points?
The mid point may shift as the bar moves when cornering.

Wyn

Club Member
I guess it depends on what mounting bushes your using and how big the sway bar is.
Is it totally straight in the mid section between the mounting points?
The mid point may shift as the bar moves when cornering.

Good question. Cant rem now as bought the uprated frt n rear kit from Mike a few yrs back now.
From memory the bar is dead straight as it passes under the crank pulley but curves back where it clamps upto the chassis
Maybe find a pic to show what I mean

Wyn

Club Member
The obvious thing would be to relocate the sensor to 3 oclock but as it part of a premade kit would mean making new brackets etc ....

yep that last pic is on the pi55 lol

Attachments

• in6.jpg
    in6.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 34
  • in7.jpg
    in7.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3718.JPG
    IMG_3718.JPG
    957.8 KB · Views: 38

racer

Club Member
Ok so the bar is bent inboard of the mounts.
Put the suspension under some compression and look to see if the bar moves closer to your damper.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
As the suspension compresses and the bar rotates the bit under the crank pulley will rotate away from the crank pulley. Vice versa when the suspension extends.

so I think you can test whether you're at risk of fouling your sensor if you jack the car up and let the front wheels droop - the ARB can't get closer to the damper pulley than that.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
You don't need an ARB at the Pod Wyn. :thumbs:

If you could fit very short drop-links would that help?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyn

Club Member
You don't need an ARB at the Pod Wyn. :thumbs:

If you could fit very short drop-links would that help?

Don't run a rear roll bar but still need to get to the pod so will stick with the frt bar :)

Will have a look to see what clearance I end up with

Wyn

Club Member
How about lowering the front mounts with alloy blocks?

Good idea as that would probably be the easiest. What affect it would have I don't know ?
Now the engine is in and after offering parts up today am guessing the bar needs lowering by 20mm ?
As it is I cant even offer it up without the sensor hitting the toothed crank wheel

Attachments

• SEN3.JPG
    SEN3.JPG
    829.2 KB · Views: 20
  • SEN2.JPG
    SEN2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • SEN1.JPG
    SEN1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • SEN0.JPG
    SEN0.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

Wyn

Club Member
Good idea or bad idea, other then these being for a landrover ;)

images

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think it'll be fine to add a spacer block. To be double sure, you could shorten the drop links by the same amount, but I don't think it's necessary: you'll just have a bit of an angle between the drop link and the ARB.

Wyn

Club Member
I think it'll be fine to add a spacer block. To be double sure, you could shorten the drop links by the same amount, but I don't think it's necessary: you'll just have a bit of an angle between the drop link and the ARB.

Cheers Jon, yah that's what I plan to do as seems the easiest way now
Already been looking at buying alloy plate

I could be wrong but from what I saw under the car today it looked like there isn't a great deal of room between the track rod ends and the rollbar
Maybe that's how they are as the rack ends looked to kick up midway towards the roll bar?
If I shorten the drop link pins it might be too close?
Or maybe not as the distance always stays the same between them ?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Cheers Jon, yah that's what I plan to do as seems the easiest way now
Already been looking at buying alloy plate

I could be wrong but from what I saw under the car today it looked like there isn't a great deal of room between the track rod ends and the rollbar
Maybe that's how they are as the rack ends looked to kick up midway towards the roll bar?
If I shorten the drop link pins it might be too close?
Or maybe not as the distance always stays the same between them ?

Oh yeah, that's right - the inboard ends of the rod ends are fixed height and so as suspension extends the ARB gets closer to the rod end.
Leave the drop links as they are :thumbs:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Forgive me for being totally off topic - but completely serious: when I first saw the title I thought it read "people against roll bars" :smash:!!!

I clearly need more sleep!

Wyn

Club Member
Well its fitted. Thanks for the idea of dropping the roll bar :thumbs:

Now need to hope it doesn't catch else it could get messy :unsure:

Attachments

• 0.JPG
    0.JPG
    590.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35

Wyn

Club Member
If the belt goes can you fit a new one without taking the sensor plate off

Maybe dep how I finish things off ....
As it is I've just found out the crank sensor needs a 30tho air gap, so now need to close up its gap again
Easy way would be to space that sensor up but as I want as much clearance as poss for that rollbar I might just shorten those 3 spacer bobbins
Down side is as you point out the sensor or plate needs loosening off to change a belt
Luckily the belts are all new, so knowing my luck they will outlast the engine anyway ..