Alloy Radiators

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi

I need to get a new radiator due to my old copper core one throwing its contents all over my driveway.

I have seen a number of alloy radiators on e-bay like the one in the link below but has anyone any view on the quality & fit. Unfortunately, I don't have bucket loads of dosh to spend at the moment so anything around this price does it for me as long as they last and fit in the car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Grea...0068&clkid=8482759015283307160&_qi=RTM2063723

Cheers

uk66fastback

Club Member
It's under £100 - delivered - so the quality won't be top notch I would imagine - (quality of welds etc) - but it should do what is it intended to do - ie hold water!

I don't think you can go wrong at that price tbh. How bad is your original one - I have an ali one in mine and want to go back to an original at some point ... what do they cost to get recored?

Farmer42

Club Member
The top tank has separated from the core so all the water pours out from the gap. I suppose it could be fixed cheaper but I thought alloy radiators had better circulation and cooling capabilities which is why I thought I would go for a new one. Plus, 40 years' worth of crud to flush out.

Not sure on the re-core costs but it must be somewhere near the cost of the alloy one... if a core can be found for it.

Think I will try the alloy red but keep the old copper core one & get it fixed over time in case I want to return to it.

richiep

Club Member
I've seen talk on one of the US forums about those cheap eBay rads where people have had problems with the mounting tabs and holes not lining up. Something to consider, but it's unlikely these vendors will have tested these Chinese rads on an actual car. So they may fit or may not. They also look less refined in build quality compared to others out there.

Personally, I'd suggest the Mishimoto rads - they look good quality and the price is very reasonable. JK has one in his Sam.

http://www.mishimoto.co.uk/datsun-240z-performance-aluminium-radiator-70-73.html

Above that there's the $350+shipping Arizona Z Cars rad like I've got, or the 400quid MSA rad. But these days, I'd go for the Mishimoto if I needed a replacement, given there is UK stock and the price.

Of course, plenty of people just get their original Z ones re-cored. Less faff than buying a cheap eBay one that doesn't fit/doesn't last etc.

toopy

Club Member
Hi

I need to get a new radiator due to my old copper core one throwing its contents all over my driveway.

I have seen a number of alloy radiators on e-bay like the one in the link below but has anyone any view on the quality & fit. Unfortunately, I don't have bucket loads of dosh to spend at the moment so anything around this price does it for me as long as they last and fit in the car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Grea...0068&clkid=8482759015283307160&_qi=RTM2063723

Cheers

From what i could see, they dont list any measurements, make sure its the right depth for your car and not the shorter 240 size

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've had a rad re-cored and repaired.

I had a high efficiency core fitted which was wider than original and it worked fine. It was over £100 though, think £115..

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi

Cheers

It'll be fine but mounting points for 240Zs and 260Zs are different.

andrew muir

Club Member
I have a champion radiator as well very please had it for 4 years and no issues, cools much better than old original one ever did. Got mine from Mike feeney at MJP for about the same price as on ebay.:thumbs:

Champion radiators seem to be a pretty popular fit on Z's but they ain't the cheapest.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1974-1975...050172?hash=item3f696339bc:g:CXkAAOSw-itXu3Jf

My 260 has one but all I can really say about it is it works just fine and it looks nice and shiny lol :rolleyes:

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I've seen talk on one of the US forums about those cheap eBay rads where people have had problems with the mounting tabs and holes not lining up. Something to consider, but it's unlikely these vendors will have tested these Chinese rads on an actual car. So they may fit or may not. They also look less refined in build quality compared to others out there.

Personally, I'd suggest the Mishimoto rads - they look good quality and the price is very reasonable. JK has one in his Sam.

http://www.mishimoto.co.uk/datsun-240z-performance-aluminium-radiator-70-73.html

Above that there's the $350+shipping Arizona Z Cars rad like I've got, or the 400quid MSA rad. But these days, I'd go for the Mishimoto if I needed a replacement, given there is UK stock and the price.

Of course, plenty of people just get their original Z ones re-cored. Less faff than buying a cheap eBay one that doesn't fit/doesn't last etc.
They don't seem to do one for the 260Z, and according to some of the comments on here they have a different fit to the 240?

Ian

Club Member
I have a good condition stock 260Z radiator you can have for a fair price (don't know what they are worth tbh) If you are interested I can post photos. Currently has a 15" electric fan attached which you can have for extra if you wish, or I can remove it.

Farmer42

Club Member
I have a good condition stock 260Z radiator you can have for a fair price (don't know what they are worth tbh) If you are interested I can post photos. Currently has a 15" electric fan attached which you can have for extra if you wish, or I can remove it.

Definitely interested depending on price & condition. I will PM you.

Farmer42

Club Member
Update:

Had a look at Ian's radiator but that was for a later 260Z whereas mine is the same rad as a 240Z.

I needed to get something sorted quickly as I was due to take the car to a classic car meet at Bourton-on-the-Water in the Cotswolds so I decided to get it fixed at a local place near Bristol that had fixed my heater matrix a couple of months earlier. This was about 4 weeks ago.

When I took it in, the guy had a look at it and said that the metal on the tanks was really thin as he reckoned they deteriorate from the inside. I left it there anyway and he rang me up later that day to say that there were loads of pinholes in the top tank and the seam between the tank and the core needed a new strip of solder. Again, cos I needed it quick I said go ahead. It cost about £50 and I got it back the next day.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be false economy. It did manage the intended trip and a further round trip of about 150 miles but I took it to the Z Club meet at Yate last weekend and noticed a puddle of water and antifreeze under the front of the car when I parked it up.:( Rather than risk the drive out to Kemble with the others I decided to get it home and glad I did because on the way, it let go. by the time I got home, there was very little water left. I let it cool down and topped it up to see the extent of the problem and I had a fountain out of the side of the top tank.

So, in a nutshell, I am back to looking for a replacement radiator. The Mishimoto looks good and is around £250 & there is UK stock. Problem is, even £250 is out of my price range at the moment with Christmas looming rapidly but I need to get the car off my drive and back under the cover of my lock-up garage which is about 2 miles away. I can't drive it as it is.

I am therefore torn between getting the Mishimoto or going for a seemingly better quality 4-row replacement off e-bay for around £160 with a 2-year warranty. My Missus reckons that if the warranty is any good, go for it cos if it doesn't fit or a weld lets go, I can get my money back & 2 years is a reasonable time given the price. She said that even if they don't want to honour their warranty, I could raise a dispute with e-bay and probably get a refund through that.

That sort of made my mind up - probably not what the purists would do but will go for the e-bay one. I don't drive the car as a daily doing loads of miles so hopefully it will be ok. I will give my opinion on fit etc when I get it.