Air dam / front spoiler

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
I was cruzing with my 260Z today on the motorway and started to speed up a bit.
At around 60 to 80, all goes well. But turning the speed up to around 110, and you get the feeling that it does not stick all that well to the ground anymore.

Does anyone have any experience on that front when he/she installed a front spoiler/airdam, other than stock. And has it helped when driving at high speeds?

if so, can someone give me advice on which material/spoiler to choose, and where to order it?

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
Hiya matey,,it doesnt have to be the air dam, various factors from wheel/ tire combo,,suspension setup,,weighting of the car etc,, :unsure: at that speed unless you have an airdam shaped like an actual aircraft wing I cant see it unloading the front of the car :confused:

tel240z

Club Member
As he said but i think they are all a bit like that even 40 years ago from the factory let be realistic here its not a 350z

Mr.F

Inactive
The 240Z or 260Z without the aero package (front lip and tailgate spoiler) acts like an upsidedown aeroplane wing at speed. The effect of just the standard fittings is quite well documented and tested (particularly in America where the standard car had neither spoiler and softer springs).

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
My old 260z was crap over 85 and felt really scary,but my 240 is really steady at well over 120, or so someone has told me who was driving it and it really wasn't me!!

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Mr F. I think you hit the nail there. I have a rear spoiler but don´t have a front spoiler. I´m guessing this has a negative effect on the stickiness when driving at high(er) speeds. i think if I installed a deeper front spoiler this would improve handling.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My car just has the standard 'aero package' and is fine - I've done a true 130mph and it's very stable. So I don't think a big spolier at the front is needed to cure your problem.

If it feels unstable check the steering rack bushes and steering column coupler - my car was frightening when I first had it, those bushes were shot! Open the bonnet and get someone to turn the steering from side to side while you look at the rack and column. My rack moved before my wheels did! Check that first.

ben240z

Club Member
Hi buddy, as Rob has said check the rack mount bushes and replace if required.

I have found that at speeds over about 60mph the front is susceptible to lift if there is no front spoiler.

There are plenty of after market spoilers available but the standard one works very well if there are no other issues with the car.

I assume that the front of the car is either the standard ride height or lower?

Having spent many seasons playing with airdams/splitters and front spoilers I have some ideas on how to improve things depending on what you are doing with the car, BUT nissan did a very good job initially so be careful about changing things for the wrong reasons

Rob Gaskin has a standard looking car that will wipe the floor with a lot of the modified cars around. Mainly due to his driving talent but also because he has done the basics to get the car stable and easy to drive.
There is a great deal to be learned from Rob and how he has set the car up

Cheers Ben

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rob Gaskin has a standard looking car that will wipe the floor with a lot of the modified cars around. Mainly due to his driving talent but also because he has done the basics to get the car stable and easy to drive.
There is a great deal to be learned from Rob and how he has set the car up

Cheers Ben

Cheers Ben you certainly know how to make my day. However to be honest my car flatters me and it just goes to show how good a mildly modified 240Z will go.

As others have said they are prone to some lift but that shouldn't worry you. If the car feels unstable then I reckon it's something else. These cars on sensible size (not too wide) tyres and good bushes all round are a dream to drive.

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Yes, well I have installed all new polyurethane bushings on the suspension. Everything has been taken apart put back together. I don´t have any wheel wobble, but It´s a strange feeling when you go into higher speeds.

On the 10th i´ll be visiting duncan, so I think i´ll let him drive my 260z, maybe he can sort it out. But I guess it will be like you all say. front toe, or incorrect allignment or something. thanks for the help everyone!

status

Well-Known Forum User
it should be ok if its lowerd,i have the all in 1 spoiler on mine available from mjp and lowerd,you shouldnt have to do anything else to it to cure the problem,wot size wheels. tyres r u running,see my gallery to give you an idea as to wot the spoiler looks like

Lazeum

Forum User
Have you checked as well your front alignment? With standard suspension, it only means front toe.

I've adjusted my front Toe on my S14a recently, it has made the car much more stable at high speed. you might have too much toe.

Regarding suspension bushings, the most sensitive in the front is the TC arm ones. That could also be a reason, you would feel steering wheel vibrations on many circumstances (braking, side loads, etc...)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The 240Z or 260Z without the aero package (front lip and tailgate spoiler) acts like an upsidedown aeroplane wing at speed. The effect of just the standard fittings is quite well documented and tested (particularly in America where the standard car had neither spoiler and softer springs).

Should read "the standard...."

If you lower your car, there isn't the same problem - mine has neither front nor rear spoiler and so far up to 135kmh - no problems. My old Z which was higher has a deep Samuri front spoiler and standard spoiler and before it was lowered, it was ok 'til 110 then turned a bit light. Afterwards, it stuck like glue - just the wipers weren't great in the rain..........:(