adjusting the doors..

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
ive been at it for a complete evening and it still doesnt close like i want to.
is there some sort of 'best way' of doing this?

if there is i'd like to know it before i get medieval on it..

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
When you adjust the doors you have to adjust the striker on the door jamb as well, have you tried loosening the striker so it can move a little then shutting the door to get it in the right position?

jay_portishead

Well-Known Forum User
I spent an entire day adjusting my drivers door!!! Eventually best results came from adjusting door alignment via hinges secured using the x3 bolts inside the car. It took an age of messing around and definitely came close to driving me insane.

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
well thats how far i got :)

will give it a go again today. it must work tonight or else...

Morbias: i will take of the striker today, make sure the door is alligned like it should and then put the striker back in and adjust that seperately

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
make sure every thing is moving freely and they are a pain to get right !!!!! you just have to keep trying.

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
nooooo, thats not something to put on a Z, thats for a honda civic or anything like that.
Ill just keep adjusting till i get it right!

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
without the striker on the car my door closes like this

6955726676_09e1e63b8e_c.jpg

but shouldnt it be closing more like this? i have to push it pretty hard to make it close like this

6955726408_d10a25bcea_c.jpg

if i put the striker back in place i really have to slam that door hard to get it to close properly, and i dont think thats a good thing.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Have you got a hinge spacer missing or two?
I had the same problems on my drivers door, after weeks faffing around trying to adjust it, I gave up and let the door be where it wanted to be,l and built the rear body out a couple of mm to meet it. I reduced the gap between rear wing and door at the same time.
I convinced myself previous welding / repair before my time had left something a little bit out, but could be because I wasn't good enough at adjusting.
Perhaps I shouldn't admit this - I may want to sell it one day :)

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
hinge spacers? I dont know if i am missing them, didnt put in the doors myself but that might be worth looking at.
but the door lines up perfectly on the front end of the door. if i put some sort of spacer on the hinge i would change the fitting on the front as well and thats not what i want,

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
have you got the standard door seals fitted or aftermarket ones which can make it hard to shut the door without having to slam it hard

Zed-the-red

Well-Known Forum User
I have been having many many frustrating hours of fun trying to get the doors on my 240 to close properly. With no latch and no seals they close fine with no sign of binding. Put the latch on and the fit is acceptable. Put the aftermarket door seals on and it all goes to pot. They will not even slam shut..when they are shut I have 5mm of the door sticking out.. looks awful. But I will try and try again maybe with different thinner seals.
I know your pain and frustration.. I have never had so much 'fun' getting doors to fit.

toopy

Club Member
have you got the standard door seals fitted or aftermarket ones which can make it hard to shut the door without having to slam it hard

The OEM seals have quite a flat face/surface and they seem to squash considerably more than the more rounded aftermarket stuff, mine are non standard and initially the door needed quite a shove to close properly, although i never had to actually slam it shut, over the years its become better..... if you can wait 10 years!!
Same with the hatch, although that does need a good slam most of the time o_O

johnymd

Club Member
I have recently fitted new seals (from MSA) to my early 280z and found they fir really well. They don't push the bottom of the door out as I had expected and close with a firm push and not a slam.

Attachments

• 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 23

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
There is a series of videos on YouTube called Home built by Jeff. On one of the episodes covering the 240z he adjusts his doors. As far as I recall he drilled the hinge plates to give an extra few milimeteres of potential adjustment. Have a peek to see if this might help resolve your issue

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks Mr nospark - I did watch that one last week, hence the interest in this old thread. I was convinced there must be a better way than to modify the hinges.

The Mrs Jeff bloopers at the end are quite entertaining! [emoji106]