A big warning to all!!! Check your door keys, NOW!!!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Dear all,

When was the last time you properly looked at your keys? I know I never did.

Last night just before going to the hotel for the night's rest before Japfest, I started to lock the car and put the key in, I had barely started to turn it without any force and "click" - The picture tells the story rather well. :(

66c309dd25d8d9d70b309e4db918e131.jpg

Thankfully we had just filled up with fuel and the passenger door was still open.

I checked 4 other members' keys the next day and sure enough two of them had visible stress cracks in exactly the same place and the other two had the beginnings of the same cracks in the same place.

Here is one member's key, spot the stress fractures!

ac7d35b3b01dabd549c6ded85caca8ab.jpg

I just got home and checked my original key that I keep as a spare and guess what, see the picture! I'll be down the locksmiths tomorrow as soon as with my two spare blanks!!!!

5aaa66ebb77fcf758c7a053ee9c9ef81.jpg

My door locks have been oiled so I hardly put any pressure on it at all before it sheared. I suspect years of them being tougher to open have taken their toll on the keys.

Please save yourselves the hassle and check your keys/get spares cut before you end up with a "locks all round replacement job" or "trying to get a broken key out of the lock with a watch screw driver" job! The latter I will be attempting this evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

candy red

Club Member
Checked mine all ok no signs of cracking but going to get another key cut anyway thanks for the heads up ;)

Derrick:thumbs:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Pleasure!

Great to see you today Derrick - the lady in red was looking awesome today. :thumbs:

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
are the blanks hard to get hold of?
i really should get a spare cut for mine

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I picked mine up on eBay - plenty about when I bought about a year ago.

Expensive ones ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/322083166302

But I found some cheaper copies from Auz I just looked by can't find them now though. Maybe it's the ebay "app" I'm using v the web site - the latter often returns better / more comprehensive results.

toopy

Club Member
I had a couple of sets recut last year, as i to had the stress fractures and the one door key i had was starting to twist!

The door keys i got from ebay but most key places should be able to do them, for the ignition key, not so easy, if you want one that is the same shape. I got three sent over from Oz, cant remember now if that was of ebay or not tho.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I seem to have got lucky. My keys are fine. Phew. Or perhaps my keys aren't quantum entangled with Ali's!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
So, just in case anyone else is unfortunate enough to have to do this, I got the key out this eve. Forget the locksmith, just get a couple of teeny weeny screwdrivers.

Here it is in the lock ....

9f3fd683ed85cf8d26cf1524e5a66263.jpg

I just inserted a 1.2mm watch screwdriver at the top and a 0.9mm one on side side (right side of photo) and gently levered it out. A total doddle and much easier than I thought. My locks are very well lubricated but it wouldn't hurt to squirt some WD40 in there to help it come out more easily.

8dba421d9092cc2f87378b890f8a1b3d.jpg

Here is the offending article, quite scary how bad it was and not noticeable at the time!

9e17a5fcdc99e74502cb12573097a241.jpg

280REZ

280ZX 2 + 2 Targa ,Auto 1981
Club Member
Good Shout There

Many years ago In my previous 280zx 2 + 2 I experienced the key twisting in the lock - fortunately I had a spare set. I must admit I'm always wary when opening my door - Maybe I'm just getting old

:)

toopy

Club Member
Being so used to remote central locking on the daily vehicles, its very easy to be a bit hasty with the Datsun locks and not properly push the key all the way in before turning.
Thats what i did and bent the key ever so slightly, only having the one at the time, that frightened me enough to sort out some spares ASAP

spitdigger

Club Member
I'd love to check mine but I've put them somewhere for safe keeping and .........!

Looks like I might be buying new locks

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
That damned somewhere safe must be packed full of stuff!!

Toopy et al, quick word of warning, there are type A and type B keys (I think!) - someone with deeper knowledge can put me right there. But in essence the thin lip is to the left or the right depending on the type you have; as I discovered on my blanks. I have the wrong type for my key.

See the photo, my blank is a mirror image of the key I need to cut, so it's no good to me. My blank is type A but my key is a type B (also known as type L I think).

If anyone with a type A key wants it, it's yours. Just PM me your address.

ce3e8d9487ddf23539be6c678aec9969.jpg

toopy

Club Member
Well, i never knew that :)

I saw an image of the keys before i ordered mine, so i knew they would match, but have never read any reference to the differences as you mention