280ZX Rear Brake Calipers

Huw

Club Member
Hi

I've got a 79 2str and getting hold of spares for the rear brake Calipers is damn difficult if not impossible. I understand the later model Calipers don't fit as the fixing points are different on the trailing arms.

My question is this: how practical/difficult woluld it be to replace the trailing arms on my old model (79) for those off a later model 280ZX so I can fit the newer Calipers and get spares well into the future?

Cheers

Huw:confused:

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
lemme have a look Huw, an early z31 and late 280 have quite a lot of similartity, but I'll have a check on the fsm's I have :driving:

Mr.F

Inactive
When Nissan redesigned the 280ZX rear suspension and brakes for the facelift, they changed everything including the brackets on the cross-beam to which everything is mounted. To do the job would involve a complete late model rear end transplant...
Brake lines would then need to be reconfigured to the late set-up also (four flexys instead of just two on the early cars).

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
Just finished havin a look and was gonna say it dont good without winning the lotto,,,ehmm,,, just seen Mr F's post hehehe :D Cheers Mike !!! :bow:

Huw

Club Member
Thats that knocked on the head then...........

Anyone recommend an aftermarket replacement, is there such a beastie?

Cheers guys.

Huw

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
There may be a thread on that here Huw,,however I can tell you that brakes even on my early z31 are murderously hard to source parts for :(

AndyMinto

Inactive
Huw,
Have a word with Steve Burns. I'm sure he told me recently that he'd found a source of parts but I may be wrong.

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Recon Rear Calipers are, or at least were, available from Brake Engineering ( UK based ).
They won't sell you the parts to rebuild yours any more, but supply them on an exchange basis for around £140 +VAT at the last count.

Either Google them, or ask your local Motor Factor to quote - they might not supply you directly.

Mr.F

Inactive
Duncan - I use Brake Engineering and, at the last order, they were unable to obtain parts for the early 280ZX caliper and had no real intention of going back to them.
As far as I am aware, the later calipers can still be refurbished as well as the 300ZX Z31 versions (which are of a similar design and use parts generally fitted across a wider range of Nissan). It is the '79 / '81 calipers that remain a problem.
If anyone wants me to try again, then I am happy to send off items for refurb (they do a really good job and the items come back finished better than Nissan ever managed), but don't hold your breath...

Last edited by a moderator:

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
There I go, ten years behind the times again.

Gee, thanks Mike - add them to the NLA List then....

Got some mint late 280ZX Rear Calipers in stock, though, however not much use to our friend above.

swordley

Well-Known Forum User
Hi, I just found a thread on another site and dont know if it would be any help or even if the part is still available:
When installing 82 - 83 280ZX rear calipers on the early Z cars, use the following p/n DAT 4415504S10 ADAPTOR C (2req)
These are caliper mounting brackets from 81 - 84 Maxima front wheel drive cars and they are the ticket, as opposed to fabricating your own brackets from raw stock. Yes, a factory Nissan (Datsun) part that bolts right upto your early Z

swordley

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry just noticed that was for fitting 280 callipers on earlier datsuns, might still be helpfull tho

Mr.F

Inactive
For the record, 44155-04S10 doesn't exist as a valid part number for the U.K. - might be available in the USA, but never registered as a part over here.
We have used 44155-88E00 and 44165-88E00 previously, but now only the latter is available - 3 weeks ex-Japan at £62.00 + VAT.
The brackets do have a slight "twist" in them making them theoretically handed, but I believe that the LH version can be modified to fit the right hand side.
The downside of these brackets is that the hub has to be fully dismantled as they are full circle attachment as opposed to open circle attachment of most aftermarket brackets...

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
The downside of these brackets is that the hub has to be fully dismantled as they are full circle attachment as opposed to open circle attachment of most aftermarket brackets..

On my OEM ones (the 44155-04S10) ones) I had a section cut out of the "ring" so they could be fitted without hub removal. Obviously one fixing bolt hole is lost, but three to hold the bracket, is more than some kits (OEM ones also) only have two on fixing brackets.