280ZX Distributor Base / Plate wanted | The Z Club of Great Britain

280ZX Distributor Base / Plate wanted

Discussion in 'Parts and Other Items Wanted' started by chrisvega, Feb 8, 2017.

1. chrisvega

chrisvega
    Z Club Member

[​IMG]

Looking for base and locking plate to enable fitment of 280ZX dizzy to 240Z, have the dizzy just need two parts on the right of pic.

Thanks.

2. yellowz

yellowz
    Z Club Member

3. chrisvega

chrisvega
    Z Club Member

Thanks Jim

4. Nigel Brook

Nigel Brook New Forum User

5. SacCyclone

SacCyclone
    Z Club Member

Chris,

Careful with California-Datsun. They have a bad reputation on the local datsun forums here.

Are you still looking for these parts????

Mike

6. chrisvega

chrisvega
    Z Club Member

I managed to source some used items thanks Mike so won't be buying from California Datsun parts. I noticed their complete dizzy conversion kit was expensive at $350 bearing in mind we can get rebuilt/new dizzy for around $100 delivered from Rock Auto minus baseplate/fixing part. May have another conversion to do shortly in which case will drop you a pm if need same parts again :thumbs:

7. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

So to replace the standard 240z distributor with the 280 part you just need these two items? Anything else required?

8. jonbills

jonbills
    Z Club Member

Yes thats right. You just need all the items in that pic at the top, and an extra red wire.

9. yellowz

yellowz
    Z Club Member

Is there any mileage in bulk buying from somewhere because I'm planning on doing this swap in the near future?

10. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member

And a different coil.;)

11. jonbills

jonbills
    Z Club Member

Not sure about that - why do you think the old coil won't work?

12. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member

Don't know - I'm a nunce but change a dizzy for a pointless version and you need to change the coil for a 280ZX version !

13. toopy

toopy
    Z Club Member

It will work, just might not for that long

The resistance is different, the ohms on a points coil is 5-7 ohms, one for an electronic system is 1.5 or less, 3 ohms is likely a high performance points coil

Above figures not Datsun specific, but applies nonetheless

14. toopy

toopy
    Z Club Member

Just to add to above

You can use a low resistance coil but it will burn out the points very quickly, where as a high resistance points coil will work ok with a electronic dizzy, but it is likely to fail prematurely because of the high voltage induced

3 ohm would probably be fine and last just as long as the low resistance 1.5ohm jobby

15. SacCyclone

SacCyclone
    Z Club Member

I need to get more pics of what I have, there are different base towers (my wording) and different timing plates. I will try to get more pics tomorrow of what I have.

[​IMG][/IMG]

16. johnymd

johnymd Active Forum User

So is the base from a 240 different to a 280?

17. Nigel Brook

Yes.

18. johnymd

johnymd Active Forum User

Can it be made to fit? or is the timing chain cover totally different?

19. jonbills

jonbills
    Z Club Member

Timing cover is the same - i think it's the orientation of where the timing adjuster holes are on the dizzy and mount.

20. Nigel Brook

I'll put a pic up of the correct one when I get a moment.