260z electric fuel pump

Geoff-R

Club Member
Hi all, need to replace the electric fuel pump on my 260. I want to run it in standard trim. What's the best direct replacement to use? Cheers.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Geoff, I don't know anything about these pumps but can it be 'opened' to repair it?

Geoff-R

Club Member
Hi rob, got it off the car and opened it up, gpt the filter out, it almost looks like the original, it was pretty dirty inside. I'll be honest not looked in to repairing it as I didn't really think it would be repairable.

johnymd

Club Member
I know very little about the 260's as I've been more involved with the 240. Did the 260 have an electric fuel pump as standard?. I thought they were all mechanical.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
mine was mechanical, no electric pump.
ive now fitted an electric fuel pump instead of the mechanical.

Geoff-R

Club Member
It's got a mechanical pump on the engine side and an electric one by the tank. Reading up in the Haynes manual apparently the electronic fuel pump is there to avoid vapolock. The car is a US 260z if that makes any difference.

Geoff-R

Club Member
Also worth mentioning it appears to be all standard, the bracket is there by the fuel tank as part of the car unfortunately I don't have any pictures to hand. The car wouldn't run without the electronic fuel pump but had it running off a bottle of fuel plumbed in to the mechanical pump. I'm assuming that as the electric one is jammed it wouldn't allow any fuel through to the mechanical pump.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've had lots of problems with fuel filters clogging including my Facet pump on the blue car.

On my track car I fitted a disposable filter before my Facet.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
................... I'm assuming that as the electric one is jammed it wouldn't allow any fuel through to the mechanical pump.

It's probably just clogged-up. From my experience electric pumps allow fuel to flow through when not pumping but a mechanical one won't.

Geoff-R

Club Member
Yeah that's right. The mechanical one was dead when I got the car but it came with a new one which I fitted in a couple of minutes and she fired right up. The filter was absolutely filthy in the electric one, it has a filter within the actual body and a filter which is seperate sitting just below which was also really dirty. Think it's just an inline one before going to the front of the car. I've got the electric pump off and put it direct to a battery and it doesn't spin so I can only assume it's seized, reversed polarity as well but to no avail. I think the car had been sitting in the US for some time before I came over here and hasn't been run off the fuel tank for some time as the tank was in the boot.

What pump can I buy that will do the job as a standard setup? I think they run at 2.5 to 4psi with the mechanical ones running at 8psi, might be misinformed though?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

What pump can I buy that will do the job as a standard setup? I think they run at 2.5 to 4psi with the mechanical ones running at 8psi, might be misinformed though?

A Facet pump is ok. 8 psi is too high and will overpower the float chamber cut-off valves I would guess.

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
cali us 260z have electric as well as mechanical to do with vapuor lock in hot temps you can bypass and use mechanical only only fitted in california cars

Geoff-R

Club Member
I assume if it's by passed then the inline filter remains and everything else goes? I want to replace it as it's there and it's just functioning at the moment but if it's not required then is there any performance drawback? Will it run any different?

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Geoff. The inline filter at the front of the engine would stay in place. There is no loss of power. I do have a couple of the fuel pump filters spare which are brand new.

toopy

Club Member
I assume if it's by passed then the inline filter remains and everything else goes? I want to replace it as it's there and it's just functioning at the moment but if it's not required then is there any performance drawback? Will it run any different?

Cars in the UK climate run perfectly well on just the mechanical pump, assuming the pipework is in good condition.
I would'nt bother replacing the electric pump, but i would replace any rubber hose at the tank end of the pipework as a minimum,
If the pump and filter are full of crud, chances are the rubber hose bends especially will be choked too :unsure:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Cars in the UK climate run perfectly well on just the mechanical pump, assuming the pipework is in good condition.
I would'nt bother replacing the electric pump, but i would replace any rubber hose at the tank end of the pipework as a minimum,
If the pump and filter are full of crud, chances are the rubber hose bends especially will be choked too :unsure:

People should check the hoses anyway and the metal pipes where they are secured with a 'block' above the diff. I have found cracked hoses and rotten pipes. If the 'return' piping leaks you wonder why your fuel consumption is high.

Geoff-R

Club Member
Thanks for the input gents, I'm going to be replacing all the hoses both front and back. Is the internal diameter 7mm tank to hard pipes and up front from the hard pipes to mechanical pump?