260Z Distributor

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Any advice when purchasing? Is there a partiuclar brand or model that's better than others? I'm not sure this will solve my engine problems but replacing it can't hurt because my current distributor is pretty well used now...

Gah, need to get this car ready for Le Mans... running out of time!

Farmer42

Club Member
Try to get hold of an electronic one from a 280ZX. Made hell of a difference to my car & it now runs smoother without the pinking and misfires. It's a straightforward swap with a bit of fettling on the wiring. Have a look at some previous threads on electronic ignition which will give you some good advice.

If you can't get hold of a used one, I seem to remember you can get them from the States (Cardone, I think) but not sure how good they are.

I do still have my mechanical points based distributor but that is probably worn and you would be much better off with electronic.

Mr.F

Inactive
Import refurb distributors will need a base mount and timing plate from an old unit...

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I have an OEM 260z distributor with Aldon igniter you can try. It's modified for no vacuum advance.
(I've switched to a 280zx one)

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I have a 280zx one but as far as I can see the problem going forward is the availability of the electronic box of tricks. They just don't seem to be available.

I kick myself as a few years back I found a uk electronics company selling them on line. Saved the link as a just in case basis unfortunately about a year later the site disappeared.. Wish I had bought myself a couple now.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I was sure MrF told me he could get the electronic units.... But wouldn't swear to it.

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
7120de5015a90d30fae11b5859e892a3.jpg
5278cc7926f1883f7d05bd27fec4a080.jpg
39dd1267818c404a1c386f405abf0578.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Anyone have any idea what distributor I have on there at the moment from the photos? I think it's electronic ignition already too? I'm hoping this fixes my problem, the car is so lumpy all of a sudden! It was running fine one evening then the next morning was worse than ever........

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Jon.... If I need it, might potentially take you up on that offer- that's if my distributor is OEM 260z...?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thats a 280zx distributor.
Is the timing set right? What do the plugs look like?

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Think I might try and get a filter for the crank breather, stop anything going down it if nothing else.

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
The type of distributor you have will be stamped on the distributor body. It will start with D6 followed by letters and numbers. There is a chart somewhere on the internet which gives the theoretical advance curves for each type of distributor and what car it was fitted to.
You don't say what your engine problem is but you point to the distributor. Would a simple first step be changing the distributor cap and rotor arm ? (both are cheap and easily available). You might be getting some arcing within a faulty cap.

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Thank you so much, really helpful advice and comments! Sorry I know, I know, my knowledge on these engines still isn't the best but I'm learning!!

I've just bought some new spark plugs because they looked rough - probably weren't too bad, but I'm going to replace them anyway as I havent for a long time... The HT leads are pretty new so wouldn't expect it to be that. I think a new distributor cap and a test of timing is overdue too, so that will be my next steps.

The car was running great earlier this year (not perfect), and it's just suddenly got really lumpy and bad. Won't hold an idle and spits / backfires out the carbs as well as the exhaust on acceleration...

thanks again for the help! Anything else it could be??

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
I'm actually thinking there might be a problem with the distributor shaft bearing? would this be expensive to fix - i.e. will i need to buy a new distributor?

richiep

Club Member
Do the simple stuff first before over-thinking the situation. Process of elimination of the most common culprits first. Get the new plugs in. Replace the cap and rotor arm. They are cheap and plentiful. You've not mentioned the coil - how old is it? Dodgy coil can easily make the car run like gash (speaking from experience). That is another thing to check/replace before more obscure things like dizzy shaft bearing. Get a timing light gun on there and find out where it's set too. Is the dizzy secure? I.e. it's not turned at all?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Agree with Richie. Also check your mixture. If you can get it over to Northampton way I'd be happy to help get it going better.

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Any coils in particular you'd recommend? How could I tell if mine is dodgy?

Yeah, you're right thank you. I'll try and start with the more simple things... The next month or so is going to be manic.. It needs some body work doing before it goes to Le Mans too!

Thank you Jon! If I can get it running well enough and feel more confident in the way it's driving, I might just do that. For now, I need to make sure I get rid of it's coughing and spluttering! I'm in Oxford, by the way.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator

richiep

Club Member
RE: coil, I just have a standard Nissan OEM 280ZX coil to run with my 280ZX dizzy, bought new from Mr.F.

Indeed, make sure your coil is suitable for use with the ZX distributor. What markings does it have on it? I'm not sure a 240/260Z standard coil (especially if the ballast resistor is still in the circuit - check that it's not next to the coil) would run okay long-term.

FYI, on timing, you should be running about 20 degrees initial advance with triple carbs.