240z wheel and tyre choices? (Rota RKR 15x8)

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hello everyone,

I've been doing some extensive research on what new wheels and tyres to put onto my 240z which I'm in the midst of restoring. Thought I'd share and may save some time for others doing similar research.

I have finally settled on the Rota RKR 15x8 ET0 4x114.3.

For others looking, these were the other contenders:

RS Watanabe (super expensive but this would feel period correct)
Konig Rewind
JBW Minilight
SPDline
Atara Racing

I also researched quite about size options; for a standard setup it comes down to either 15x7 or 15x8.

Now to tyres - this is where I confused and could do with some help from the forum. I've read different things around the original tyre size / diameter.

Original tyre diameter would appear to be 24.7" which is 195/70/14 profile tyre.

Question I have for the forum is correct tyre choice?

My initial thought was 205/60/15 - these seem to maintain the correct diameter. However, I've seen lots of reference on the forum to 225/50/15 (which is actually a smaller diameter at 23.9").

I would really do with some advice on this tyre choice and also whether or not I should consider staggering the tyres?

Thanks in advance, Graeme

Attachments

• rkr158mbronze3.jpg
    rkr158mbronze3.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 53

Paul_S

Club Member
Thanks for posting this. I am going through the same thought processes at the moment.

I am currently changing my mind on a near-daily basis!

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
likewise looking at almost exactly the same!
following closely...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toopy

Club Member
I think the reason for 225/50 15 tyres is because people are wary of the arches catching, so the lower profile helps mitigate that, the overall diameter is slightly out of course, but not by much.

I currently have staggered wheels/tyres, it'really down to personal choice, but I will soon be going to 16" x 8" wheels with 225/50 16 tyres all round.

I have 225 /60 14 tyres on the back at the moment, and they are close, but they have never rubbed.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Supplier of the wheels are recommending a 205-55-15. From what I've read on this forum, this may be a better option - especially if I am considering lowering in the future. I am however curious if the 205-60-15 will also fit just fine. I think the slightly taller tyre looks more stock. Any tips gratefully received. Thanks, Graeme

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Thanks for posting this. I am going through the same thought processes at the moment.

I am currently changing my mind on a near-daily basis![/QUOTE

Reckon I have spent at least 20 hours researching this topic so far. Will be a wheel expert by the end of this. Think I have settled on wheel choice, just need to decide on a tyre choice and whether or not to fiddle with the suspension and lower the car.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Worth also noting, both 225-50-15 and 205-55-15 have the same reduced diameter - 23.9". I assume the 225 will be a bit wider and does perhaps present a width issue - would need a offset at this size?

toopy

Club Member
Worth also noting, both 225-50-15 and 205-55-15 have the same reduced diameter - 23.9". I assume the 225 will be a bit wider and does perhaps present a width issue - would need a offset at this size?

With standard suspension, albeit lowered, zero offset is the ideal, +10 or more will hit the suspension, and -10 or more would likely rub the arches!

The rear has slightly more leway with regards hitting the suspension, i bought +10 8" wheels because zero offset wasnt available, it hit the suspension on the front!
The rear clears but is tight, dont forget the tyre wall bulge could be a factor, depending on width and profile chosen, some tyres appear to bulge less.
A 225 tyre on 8" wheels is the maximum fitment IMO for standard suspension, lowered maybe 2" max.

atomman

Club Member
FB_IMG_1527073169302.jpg
My 240z has Tokico lowering springs and rota's 8J' with 225/50 15's and I just had to roll the lips on the back arches a bit to clear them , I think they look just right , saying that the steering is a bit heavy now but the grip is good, I did try some 205 50 15's but they didn't fill the arches enough for me.

Last edited:

datsfun

Club Member
Have a look in the classified section, Atara Racing wheels available in 15x8ET0 in various colours and finishes.

Also have a few sets of 15x9ET-13 in case you fancy a staggered look !

Drop me a PM if anyone is interested.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi everyone,

So there are essentially 3 tyres choices on a 15x8 wheel. As follows:

225-50-15 (diameter 23.9)
205-55-15 (diameter 23.9)
205-60-15 (diameter 24.7)

I've ruled out the 50 as I don't really want to lower the car or doing anything to the arches. The 60 would probably file the arches better, but I guess me present a rubbing issue. Does anyone have any experience of that? I'm inclined to go middle of the road at 55. Anyone else got the 55's?

Thanks for any tips, Graeme

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
For those reading this post in the future with the same questions, my final decision was as follows:

Rota RKR's 15x8 in Matt Bronze
205-55-15 Yokohama Advan V701 tyres

Sourced from rotashop.co.uk - Calvin was very helpful. The Atara racing wheels were a very close second, but preferred the slightly darker colour of the RKR's. They were also a little bit easier for me to source. My belief is that the tyre choice was the best compromise; possibility to lower a little in the future but also good for now - don't expect any rubbing or need to roll the arches. I also didn't want to go with the 225's as the steering is heavy enough as it is, let alone putting on the 205's. Hope this helps.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Why don't these selelrs state the wheel weight ?

Easy to type 'light alloys' but I'll always want to know by how much ?

johnymd

Club Member
Because 99% of buyers will not be interested in how much they weigh. They are bought just for looks.

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
graeme

any chance of a photo of the car with the wheels on?

certainly helped my decision process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk