240z what suspension upgrade??

Leo40z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all

My 240z has a harsh ride due to a coilovers sort of retro kit fitted to the oem shocks. Alan came round mine lastnight and spotted that my shocks are just restting on the bump stops.

What I want is a lower look with a bit comfort. I know it's not always possible but duable .

Is there a kit I could buy or is the mr2 option the way to go? I'm on the look out so if anyone has a set up and running let me know ..

I have load of parts so trades could be part of deal.

Many thanks again

Leo

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Leo,
As discussed last night when I saw the car, I think the easiest and quickest solution is to adapt what you've already got.

You already have a 'Coilover' conversion on all four corners ( slip-over threaded sleeves, welded to the original strut tubes ) with 2.25in springs, although the shock absorbers are cartridge type inserts of unknown make / rate. You're already half way there...

Your main problem is that the car has run out of suspension travel at your desired ride height. If you raised it up by adjusting the spring seats you'd get back all the suspension travel that you need, but the car would sit higher than you want it to.

I think the best thing to do is simply section the strut tubes ( ie cut a section out of the tube and then weld it back together ) BELOW the threaded collars, and to install SHORTER shock cartridge inserts. That will give you back the suspension travel that you need at the ride height that you like. One of the most common conversions is to use a FRONT cartridge insert in the REAR, and to use a much shorter cartridge insert ( EG Toyota MR2 ) in the FRONT. There's lots of different options out there, but you might want to consider going to a top-adjustable cartridge insert like the Tokico 'Illumina' for example. 2.25in springs are as cheap as chips, and you can decide what rates / lengths you want to use once you have taken apart what you already have ( spring rate and length should be engraved on the top of the spring at the flat seat area ). You might even find that your original springs will be fine once you have shortened the strut tubes....

At the moment, your car is basically riding on its bump stops. In fact, it's actually sitting on the bump stops at the front even when it's not moving. Once you get the suspension travel back it will be MUCH nicer to drive.

The other alternative is to take off all four suspension legs and give them to a company like GAZ, who will convert them to fully adjustable legs for you. However, that's going to cost a few quid and you've basically already got half of what they are going to be giving to you.

If it was me, I'd shorten the strut tubes and fit Tokico Illumina inserts in them. Job done.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I'm not aware of anybody in the UK who will supply bolt-on suspension kits for the S30-series Z, even on an exchange basis. There are companies in the USA and in Japan who will do it, but shipping costs - as well as taxes and duties - will make it extremely expensive.

The problem is that your 240Z's suspension 'legs' are units that combine a strut tube with the mounts for the front and rear hubs. Taking the fronts apart you can strip them down to a fairly simple strut tube / bottom suspension mount forging / hub spindle, but the rear is more complicated as the strut tube is welded to the rear wheel bearing and stub shaft carrier. Disassembling that requires you to press out the stub shafts and to replace bearing seals ( ideally the bearings while you're at it ) and it's often a bit of a big job. The rear brake backing plates are on there too. Once all that's apart you are still left with a heavy old lump of metal which costs £££ to send anywhere and needs a fair bit of reassembly time / parts money when you get it back. Not forgetting that the rear hub housing is 'sized' at the factory, and you'd ideally want to put the original half shaft and bearing spacer back in its original housing.

Secondhand sets of suspension legs for S30-series Zs are generally in short supply here in the UK, and I'm keeping hold of any spare sets that I might have. I don't know if anyone else on the forum has a set they'd be willing to part with?

Unlike more modern Nissans like the S13/S14 and R32/R33/R34 Skylines for example, there just isn't much in the way of readily available 'bolt-on' suspension kits for your car here in the UK.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
From what I have read here, Alan is suggesting the easiest and cheapest solution.

Part of the beauty of not having a bolt on kit, is you can play with different parts to get what you want and enjoy (and to suit a budget).

Have you spoken to GAZ? They'll build you a bespoke package for about £900, matched springs to dampers(adjustable).

However as Alan rightly says, you're almost there with what you've got. I can remember the car feeling hash on anything larger than a fly! Keep the turbo, its old school cool, and with the 2.8 thats fitted its not lacking shove.

Leo40z

Well-Known Forum User
No I Havent spoken GAZ yet.. The only issue with the way that Alan has recommended is the fact of getting right..I'm sure Alan Will help me out.. He better.. Hahaha

If I'm told what to buy the mr2 way I don't mind given it try I suppose.

Leo40z

Well-Known Forum User
As I have a ramp at home in my garage if I do any work on the Z It can't be stuck on there as I have loads of work on other card do so I need the car to be on and off sort of thing..

As for the turbo setup I will keep but I need someone that can fine tune it for me.. Anyone ? Lol

neil240z

Club Member
I have a set of Leda coilovers on my 240z, I may be interested in a P/X with standard shocks and cash, I am not sure of their value so some input would be appreciated.

cheers

neil240z

Club Member
What spec are they mate.. ? Do they go low and are they comfortable ?

Unsure on the spec as the car is a recent purchase, they are obviously adjustable, the car is quite low as is and can go lower, and they are firm not rock hard.

cheers