240Z Standard Road Springs

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Does anybody have a set of standard UK 73 240Z Road Springs that they could take a picture of please?

My standard car has Tokico springs on it (fitted during recommissioning by the previous owner). They are useless and it's a known fact that they become coilbound at the slightest bump - how can they get away with it?

Anyway I have another set of springs but I'm not sure they are correct, or which are front and which are rear :rolleyes:

I have done some 'googling' and it's a minefield.

Of particular interest is the 'free' length and the number of coils.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Fit Eibach progressives - lovely.

Noted Sean, the idea was to fit standard springs as a starting point and reference. As you know I really want the car to be standard. I have my other car for the sporty ride.

If it's much too soft ad high I'll upgrade to something sensible.

So Sean are your cars mainly USA and if so they will need different springs to me I suspect :confused: Do you know what Eibach a UK car needs?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Eibachs are progressive and lower the car a tadge.

Why don't you ask Mike at MJP who'll know the difference better and who also supplys other springs to order.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
....Why don't you ask Mike at MJP who'll know the difference better and who also supplys other springs to order.

I am in conversation with Mike Sean (as always very helpful). I just want to see some pics please guys of standard springs so I can compare them with a set I've got. :bow:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry - I don't do standard and as you stated, those standard here are USA versions so of no use as a comparison.

Next !

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
....the idea was to fit standard springs as a starting point and reference. As you know I really want the car to be standard.

Standard spring data for the Export HS30s is notoriously a minefield. Lots of changes, conflicting data and 'Optional' springs thrown into the mix. Loads of part numbers.

Sometimes helps if you know what exact struts/legs you have on the car. Can you still read the part numbers on the strut tubes? Importance of this is the position of the lower spring platform on the strut tube.

In my experience, one of the most distracting and confusing elements to all this is that people read up on the north American market data and apply it - mistakenly - to UK market cars, thinking all '240Zs' are the same. Pitch the aftermarket (Tokico, Eibach etc) replacement data in their too and it can be like swimming through custard.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Standard spring data for the Export HS30s is notoriously a minefield. Lots of changes, conflicting data and 'Optional' springs thrown into the mix. Loads of part numbers.

In my experience, one of the most distracting and confusing elements to all this is that people read up on the north American market data and apply it - mistakenly - to UK market cars, thinking all '240Zs' are the same. Pitch the aftermarket (Tokico, Eibach etc) replacement data in their too and it can be like swimming through custard.

I don't think most owners now apply US parts to euro cars without full knowledge of the consequences....before internet and forums it was probably different but that was back in the stone age when lowering a car meant chopping off a few inches from the stad springs:D !

I'm interested to hear about the export 'lots of changes' as I niavly assumed that there was Japan, the USA and then the rest of the world...you imply multiple 'factory' settings for different export markets....:confused:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I don't think most owners now apply US parts to euro cars without full knowledge of the consequences....before internet and forums it was probably different but that was back in the stone age when lowering a car meant chopping off a few inches from the stad springs:D !

On the contrary. With the dawn of the 'Information Age' and Social Media, I find that it's now worse than ever. It's like a giant collective dumbing down.

Try and put bad information right, get called a "Troll".

SeanDezart said:
I'm interested to hear about the export 'lots of changes' as I niavly assumed that there was Japan, the USA and then the rest of the world...you imply multiple 'factory' settings for different export markets....:confused:

Have a look in the parts books. In the R-Drive books you'll see lots of exceptions, options and 'Europe' / 'Ex. Europe' etc. Nissan did a lot of testing in mainland Europe and made springing, damping and aero changes accordingly.

Japan market is even more complicated.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Thanks guys. I did look at all your info. Alan re a thread a few years ago started by Morbias.

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20376

I also so looked at the Nissan manual and Haynes/Autobooks.

I honestly don't mind standard on my standard car (I wish Nissan still sold them!). Yes it's soft and sits high but once I start going away from standard it's a 'modified' car and it's strength is it's originality.. I'm not going to drive it fast or do track-work in it so it's ok in 73 road spec.

The thing is you can read all the theory but I just want to see length and turns actually off a UK car. If that ties in with a manual then I can believe it and understand. Even the simple questions are hard to find an answer to e.g. is the front spring longer or shorter than the rear?

Alan I'm sure I'll be able to read the info. on the struts - that's my next move.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Rob, I've got a spreadsheet from when I was speccing my springs that says that the 240z FSM says:

Front: 386mm 10 turns (8.5 active) 83 lb/in
Rear: 381mm 10.65 turns, 103 lb/in

take it with a pinch of salt. or two.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Rob, I've got a spreadsheet from when I was speccing my springs that says that the 240z FSM says:

Front: 386mm 10 turns (8.5 active) 83 lb/in
Rear: 381mm 10.65 turns, 103 lb/in

Exactly what I'm talking about. Those numbers are from the north American market FSM.

:sigh:

tel240z

Club Member
Back in the stone age when lowering a car meant chopping off a few inches from the
standard springs

So here we are 2015 and information is still thin on the ground regarding factory 240z spring rates, lengths, perch position, so chopping 1/2 a coil off a soft us spring properly heat the end replicate the shape and cool slowly fit and try for size and comfort level, a bit of faffing about but satisfying result at the end

Rob what are you trying to achieve

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
.......I honestly don't mind standard on my standard car (I wish Nissan still sold them!). Yes it's soft and sits high but once I start going away from standard it's a 'modified' car and it's strength is it's originality..

..... Rob what are you trying to achieve

Tel, as above - a nice set of standard springs would be fine (as it came out of Japan).

The previous owner misguidedly fitted Tokico 5020 springs which are no good. It's not a matter of taste etc they are no good for the car . See pics - that is the car standing still on the driveway! Fronts are the worst, slightest bump and the car has no suspension!

I have seen this by the way before anyone points me to it: http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/41340-tokico-coil-springs-is-this-right/

Attachments

• SV200659.JPG
    SV200659.JPG
    996 KB · Views: 42
  • SV200661.JPG
    SV200661.JPG
    674.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
I'm pretty sure i have a pair, still with the nissan part number attached, but can't remember if front or rear. i'll check over the weekend a take a pic

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Rob,
the springs i have are for the front and the part number is 54010 E4102. not sure if that's applicable for '73 240's but if so i will post a picture

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Rob,
the springs i have are for the front and the part number is 54010 E4102. not sure if that's applicable for '73 240's but if so i will post a picture

54010-E4102 is described in the RHD Export 'R-Drive' factory parts manual as SPRING FRONT LH with a rate of 1.49kg/mm.

It would have been paired with 54010-E4104 SPRING FRONT RH also with a rate of 1.49kg/mm.

I suspect the original free length would have been different between LH and RH to even the car up on the ground.

You seem to have two LH springs as a pair.