240Z Fan Belt Recommendations Please

Paul_S

Club Member
Hi all,

I'm after a new fan belt for my 240Z. The current one is labelled as a Nissan 11750-05E10KE and it measures 13mm x approx. 910mm (it may have stretched a little of course).

Google tells me that equivalents include:

BOSCH: 1987947654 = 13mm x 925mm
CONTITECH: AVX13X900 = 13mm x 900mm
GATES: 6466EXL = 13mm x 900mm
GATES 6466MC = 13mm x 900mm
DAYCO 13A0900C = 13mm x 900mm

I guess any of these would be OK - although I don't know the difference between the 2 Gates belts.

My belt is solid but some (all?) of the above are cogged. Is that a good or a bad thing? I assume a smooth belt is more of a period look?

All advice welcomed! :)

toopy

Club Member
I think the cogged belts are more flexible and are better when fitted to smaller and/or similar sized pulleys, where they wrap around the circumference further

a solid v belt is better when pulleys are larger and/or further apart, as in our old skool L series engines.... atleast that's what I've read!

Paul_S

Club Member
Ah, thanks for your reply :)

In that case I will see if I can find a replacement which is solid...

If anyone has a recommendation that would be great :)

toopy

Club Member
Looking at the spec, the working temperature on that belt is +80 degrees, on the majority of engines the normal operating temp is around +90

It may be ok, since it is spinning round in free air and not touching the engine, but even so, it may not last anywhere near as long!

Paul_S

Club Member
Looking at the spec, the working temperature on that belt is +80 degrees, on the majority of engines the normal operating temp is around +90

It may be ok, since it is spinning round in free air and not touching the engine, but even so, it may not last anywhere near as long!
Good point! Maybe not then. I'll keep looking :)

_BR1TT0N_

Forum User
Good point! Maybe not then. I'll keep looking :)

did you ever find a correct belt Paul? mine on my 240z is slipping ALOT! I just got one from local parts store. I’m assuming it has to have the right v profile, width and length. What did you go for?
mine is a 1972 240z

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I’ve gone with Gates every time! While the classic look may be the solid one; the toothed ones (like the Dayco) are less likely to fail as they dissipate heat better.

Don’t let your fan belt slip for very long, they do bizarrely damage / ridge the insides of the pulleys. I never imagined in a game of paper, scissor, stone something softer can cause this much damage to something harder!

_BR1TT0N_

Forum User
Thanks both for your replies!
So you went with a 13mm width? I thought the 240z had 10mm width belt as stock? The fan/alternator belt that is. ? What length?

toopy

Club Member
Thanks both for your replies!
So you went with a 13mm width? I thought the 240z had 10mm width belt as stock? The fan/alternator belt that is. ? What length?

I believe your right on the 10mm, but as long as the belt is level with, or below the lip of the pulleys, then you will be fine.

_BR1TT0N_

Forum User
Thanks again. Yeah so my 10mm is lower than the lip of the pulleys. I wonder whether the V profile can make much difference? Just can’t understand why mine is slipping so much!

toopy

Club Member
They obviously harden over time naturally anyway, but once they start to slip a little, the wear increases considerably from the heat/friction and they harden and become glazed/polished, sounds like yours is definitely passed it's best then.

_BR1TT0N_

Forum User
They obviously harden over time naturally anyway, but once they start to slip a little, the wear increases considerably from the heat/friction and they harden and become glazed/polished, sounds like yours is definitely passed it's best then.

yeah but today I put a brand new belt on and it squeaked and slipped straight away as soon as I started the car. I can’t figure out why?

toopy

Club Member
Take the belt off and clean all the pulleys with solvent, try the belt again. You could also lightly sand them with say 1000 grit paper, not so much to remove any metal, but just enough to get rid of any remaining rubber contaminants caused by the heat from the slipping belt.

toopy

Club Member
And just to check, you have actually got it tight enough? you should just be able to turn the belt by 90 degrees on its longest run between pulleys.