2006 F1 Competition

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I remind you all of the fun had last year and that I propose that The Club manage a similar competition in 2006.

Essentiel is the organising of peoples' forecasts and the race results/points awarded (some form of programme/spreadsheet) and clearly some non-negotiable rules.

Once again I shall put up a prize and hope that others may be 'compelled' to do so too (free publicity/blackmail or whatever may be thought up).

Maybe a modest entrance fee, all going to the Clubs' funds...

Discuss please !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Bump !

Is there no-one who wants to organise the programme to enter peoples' forecasts and note the results and then post 'em up here ?

Sean

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Well...........I would if someone would prepare a programme where all I have to do is type in the forecasts and the result and the programme tells me how many points each person has won and copies that across to a spreadsheet that can be posted up here and read !

Some gentle persuasion (as only you can do) on your part to those who can produce such a programme/spreadsheet :) ?
xx

steven lack

Well-Known Forum User
i'll be up for joining in the comp this year , a fee to club funds for entry good idea

only open to those who are in it from the start

and this year seans points total dont count

emergency plan alpha
well how else am i gonna win , i'm sure you cheat
you always did at monopoly

for someone who has the time exel should/could handle a spread sheet i think

maybe run alongside a comp whereby before even the first race we all choose our winning driver say we all put in ? £5 winner/winners take all , or a similar idea
but sean get verstoppen the flying dutchman

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
£5 quid entry fee for the F1 competition and a further £1 for the winning driver competition (good idea Steve) !
All to be paid via Paypal or cheque to The Z Club before the start of the competitions and yes, everyone who wants to participate must do so from the start - no latecomers at any price !

If we set a time and date for a chat (Thursday evening around 20:30 UK time) the details can be thrashed out - what and how many prizes, points to be awarded and who's gonna produce the programme/spreadsheet etc) !

Of course I cheat, you wally !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
First race is 1 March - Bahrain ! There are 19 in all, finishing on the 22 October in Brazil !

This means that the competition needs to be in place for the end of January to leave everyone time to enroll, pay their subs. and get their first forecast in by midnight, Wednesday 8th March !

I believe that there should be three judges and I'll be one; a spreadsheet needs to be orgainised and the forecasts entered and the eventual results posted up on this site !

More or less the same rules (but stricter) :

The competition should be open from the 1st February for enrollments :

£7.50 for the F1 competition (first three win prizes to be determined at this moment but needless to say, worth substantially more than the entry fee !

This competition needs a minimum of 30 participants !

and/or

£2.50 for the drivers' competition - one guess (estimate :) as to who will be the 2006 F1 Drivers' Champion - going into a pool (less Z Club commission) with the winner having his/her 2007 Z Club membership paid !

If (when :), there are several winners, the winning names shall be drawn from a hat at the first National Z Club meeting held after the end of the F1 season ( 22 October) by someone decided upon by the three judges !

any potentiel participants who have not paid before midnight (UK time) on the 8th March shall have their forecasts declared null and void !

Participants may pay by PayPal (see home page) stating F1 Competition (if you want to particiapte in both competitions, make just one payment of £10) or the F1 Drivers' competition. Or you may pay by cheque, ensuring that you enclose a note stating what the cheque is for !

a forecast is the placing of the top eight drivers (no name repetitions please :)

all forecasts to be posted on this site and all before midnight (UK time) on the Wednesday before each race - NO EXCEPTIONS and no 1/2 points awarded to those who are late or did not post a forecast !

5 points awarded to a correct forecasted position and 1 point for placing a driver in the top eight but in the wrong order !

The three winners will be those who have collected the top three totals of points - in the event of a tie, I will ask each person the five same F1 genral knowledge questions and he/she who gets the most answers right or as near as will win !

Any changes in finishing positions due to team appeals/stewards'/FIAs' decisions etc will be corrected when those changes are applied !

Anyone querying any results may appeal to one or all of the judges who will discuss together before a final decision is made !

No person taking part in this competition may query the judges' decision : a decision must be upheld by at least two judges !

Anything else ?

AND PLEASE DON'T FORGET THAT SOMEONE HAS TO CREATE A WORKING SPREAD-SHEET !

Russ

Club Member
I can spend the 15 minutes to create the spreadsheet IF someone gives me all the info you need on it. I don't have the time to maintain it though Sean.

I had planned to develop a website system for this, if you can come up with what information we need to keep then I can see what I can do.

For instance I guess you just need to record points scored for each race, per member?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'll tell you the info we need to keep :

the forecast per person
the result of each race
points won per person per race
the running total for each person (in winning numerical order) at the end of each race

It would be great if people could enter their forecast directly onto the site as I don't have the time to maintain this either - I know how much time it took last year - Cathy moaned after 5 races !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Russ, no problem and if it takes time so be it, we'll be ready for next year !

No spreadsheet for website entries, no competition !

rsj

F1 Champ!
Club Member
SeanDezart said:
Thanks Russ, no problem and if it takes time so be it, we'll be ready for next year !

No spreadsheet for website entries, no competition !
No pressure there then!!:D
If by some wierd and wonderfull stroke of fate this competition manages to be born again, Count me in (again)!!:cool:
I also urge anyone who didnt participate last year to have a go this year - especially as the Club would benefit and Sean will be severely handicapped :devil:

LOL:D :D :D :D

rsj

F1 Champ!
Club Member
Russ said:
I'll see what I can come up with today, better be more than the three of us entering :)
Perhaps some gentle persuasion would work on the 2005 participants...:rolleyes:

...failing that blackmail and threats are good:devil:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
It's like most things, people won't commit unless it's all organised and on a plate.............but they will commit or I'll set Suzy and Burnsie onto them !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Russ,

What is needed is a template that every competitor can access and fill in their forecasts each week.

Then someone (me?) can type in the results of the race and each persons' race result AND the ongoing points tally will be displayed on the site !

The template must not allow any entries after midnight (GMT/BST) on the Wednesday before the race !

The committe can decide if this is to be a competition only open to paid-up members or everyone on this site !

No-one can cheat - all is visible and there is little up-keeping to do, except for the typing in of the race result and I don't mind that !

I admit that for you, there is no small work involved in setting this up but once it's done, it's good for every year !

Secondary is a simpler template for people to register their one-off forecast for who they think will be the F1 2006 drivers' champion !

But may I ask that if 'twas to be done, then do it quickly ? 'cos we'll need to publicise it during the whole month of february( can the publicity be placed on the home page please) , decide upon and get the entry fees in and organise the prizes !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Competition and prizes

RIGHT !

Let's have your attention please !

This competition will work - the auto spread-sheet is in process, I have it on good authority that The Z Club will offer one years' free membership (now worth £30) as a prize, I will offer a prize for first place (to be decided but worth having of course), I 'm also donating a 1:12 240ZG Tamiya kit for the F1 Drivers' Championship compo (to run parallel but seperate from the F1 compo).
I'm also expecting another worthwhile gift to offer

but in the meantime I appeal to any and all of you to :

a) donate something, big or small that can be used in this and/or other competitions
b) signal your intent to take part in these two competitions.

Nothing to pay yet but just £10 will give you a very good chance of winning something worth more than that AND the amazing status of being THE BEST and the right to include the title of F1 champion in your website signature, just to rub it in the noses of all the others who didn't take part or who did but were lesser beings than yourself !

The competition should be open from the 1st February for enrollments :

£7.50 for the F1 competition (first three win prizes to be determined at this moment but needless to say, worth substantially more than the entry fee !

and/or

£2.50 for the drivers' competition - one guess (estimate :) as to who will be the 2006 F1 Drivers' Champion - going into a pool (less Z Club commission) with the winner posing with his/her super Z kit !

Don't forget that the prizes are yours - if you want to sell 'em straight away or exchange or whatever - that's your choice !

Alright, I'll cheat again and run off with it all but at least this year, your club will make something out of it too !

So c'mon, enlist your digits to type in those winning names or none of this is going to happen !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
In fact, that's 4 if I count Mr Lack and RSJ and five if I take Suzys' comment as a "I want to do it too" !

Just 25 minimum left - more would be better ! C'mon, you don't have to like F1 - you just have to like winning and I know there are a lot of YOU out there !
Even Burnsie didn't finish last so if you sacrifice a goat each week to read the entrails, you're gonna beat him (if he takes part) !

This is a laugh but a serious one as winning counts ;-)