1st day of ownership starter probs..Help

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Picked up my 240 yesterday and this morning we have an issue.

Turn the key and it just clonks.

Took 3 plugs out to ease the load and it turned very very slowly before smoke appeared from maybe the solenoid....possibly the starter.

So is my starter kippered or the solenoid or is the engine too tough to turn over for some other reason??

Many Thanks for the help

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Has the car been sitting for a long time without running?
Did you push the clutch in fully while turning the key?

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Yes clutch down but the car started and was running fine yesterday.

Prior to getting the car brushed up for the UK it had been laid up in CA for many yrs I think.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
No not restored but DJ has been doing lots of work to get the car road safe and reliable.

Brakes, suspenders, cooling, lights etc etc...lots of stuff.

Car has been starting fine but it could just be in shock after all these years.

johnymd

Club Member
If DJ has been doing lots of work on it and you've only just bought it then maybe ask him about the history, ie, what has been done recently. Maybe it's had this problem before. Tell us what you know about the cars history.

Sounds like starter or earth to me.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Try being a bit more gentle with the ignition key and don't turn it round so far - they get worn with age.

260ZG

Club Member
My first action would be to check the main cable connection to the starter.

I would take off connection and thoroughly clean and replace.

If that didn't cure it I would probably be suspecting a worn out starter/solenoid, although if it has been standing it could just need a good clean.

Hope this helps.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Guys

It has new cables fitted......I have just been out and taken another look checking the maim cables to the stater and solenoid and all were tight but the little black wire (Lucas connector) was a bit lose and I managed to push it home a bit further, tried it and it now starts. Not sure whether this was THE problem or not but all is well now.