160 mph

Paul_S

Club Member
During a recent 5 day, 1155 mile, 6 country European road trip I had a short spell on the Autobahn. The Zed got to 160 mph and was still pulling before I had to back off. It was really stable too, very reassuring. I want to go back again!

I'm also pleased to say that the oil cooler I fitted the other day performed really well and I didn't break down!

candy red

Club Member
WOW that impressive think you need to put it down the strip at Santa-pod at next Japshow
next month see you there;)

Derrick :thumbs:

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
Sounds like fun, last time I went down an autobahn I was in a rental Citroen Berlingo, whilst our z32 was sat in a Nissan garage in Belgium with a snapped rear camber arm, awaiting parts from driftworks as Nissan Europe couldn't find the standard parts. Needless to say, the Berlingo was disappointing on the autobahn lol.

Paul_S

Club Member
WOW that impressive think you need to put it down the strip at Santa-pod at next Japshow
next month see you there;)

Derrick :thumbs:
That would be really good but I just checked the dates and unfortunately I can't make it :(

I'm not sure it's that impressive, I reckon there are plenty of people here who wouldn't find it a problem!

Sounds like fun, last time I went down an autobahn I was in a rental Citroen Berlingo, whilst our z32 was sat in a Nissan garage in Belgium with a snapped rear camber arm, awaiting parts from driftworks as Nissan Europe couldn't find the standard parts. Needless to say, the Berlingo was disappointing on the autobahn lol.

I can see how that would be disappointing! I'm soooo glad I didn't break the Zed before the trip. I am going to give it the once-over this weekend though, just to check...!

johnymd

Club Member
A few of us were talking the other day about the problem you could encounter at these speeds and above in a 240. The 359/370 were designed to be stable but once you start altering things, how will that effect it's ability to stay on the ground when you hit a bump and the front starts to point up a little. We must have all seen what happens to an f1 car when they hit something causing the front to rise at speed. Is that ever likely to happen to a z?

Based on the sort of speeds mine been and the rate of acceleration, I guess mine will do over 160mph. I'm planning to do the ring next year and won't be able to resist pushing it to the limit on the autobahn, but am I likely to do a back flip?

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
I doubt it, you need serious Aero mods before you'll catch enough wind to flip it just from going fast and the nose starting to point up. The reason the F1 cars and GT Cars flip, is because all the aero is pushing them down and once the Aero is no longer doing that, it's doing the opposite and pushing them up instead.

Paul_S

Club Member
I'm not sure about your cars but I know the 350Z & 370Z are said to produce zero lift and the 370Z Nismo and GT-R (R35) produce negative lift.

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah, but when you're looking at 'Aero' cars and none of the above even come close to fitting that description, there is a HUGE amount of difference in the aerodynamics. Most cars produce very low lift and most high performance cars produce negative lift, the idea is they stay on the road in high winds and at high speeds, with performance cars also hoping to retain some traction. With Aero, the idea is they are physically pushing down on ground the faster they go, at slow speeds, they have next to no grip whatsoever, but at break neck speeds, take corners faster and giving them more grip to go even faster.

The difference between the two types of aerodynamics, is truly immense in the way they are designed. I promise you, no ordinary car, without an aero-design, is going to flip at 160 if it hits an ordinary bump in the road. There are a damn site more cars on the road that have high performance, travel at those speeds (In Germany, lol) and don't flip over, than there are race cars with full aero design, yet the only cars you ever hear of flipping, are the race cars.

z32bolt

Well-Known Forum User
I know a few of the guys have had their z32s over 170 and were quite surprised how composed they were even at that speed. Your zed should be just as equally stable at 150+

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
I don't know how anyone can be on one of those racing boats, I mean they're literally just moulded fibre glass and travel at phenomenal speeds, I know they're on water, but am sure you lot have seen them break up as I have when they hit each other?