14" Slots | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

14" Slots

Discussion in 'Parts and Other Items Wanted' started by JonB, Mar 26, 2018.

1. JonB

JonB
    Z Club Member

Due to old age, my wife is finding my present 16" rims too uncomfortable, so I find myself more and more alone on my regular outings with my beloved 240Z...

I would quite like to go back to the 14" Wolfrace slots I had on my first Z (When I wooed my wife back in the early '70s!)

Those of you who have seen my present Z will know that is quite a 'bling' vehicle (I imported it a few years ago from OZ... so it actually has A/C...), where it won all sorts of awards, and the guy who rebuilt it did all sorts of masterful things like anodising everything possible, so highly polished, or even chrome rims would be terrific!

(I think the wonderful thing about Zs is that they have never been 'precious'... mine even has no badging at all, and if I park it next to a Lambo or McLaren- which I try to do whenever I can- everyone wants to look at the far more beautiful mystery vehicle!

I would be grateful for any pointers...

J

2. yellowz

yellowz
    Z Club Member

Learning day for me then. Why are 16" rims uncomfortable?

3. franky

franky
    Z Club Member

I'd guess lack of profile on the tyre, in a car designed to have a bit of a profile on the tyre.

4. yellowz

yellowz
    Z Club Member

Does that mean more bang for each bump?

5. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

Very good ... :clap:

6. franky

franky
    Z Club Member

well you wouldn't really want the 'clap' after.

in an ideal world.

7. SacCyclone

SacCyclone
    Z Club Member

I see where you chaps are going with this and fully appreciate the gravity of the situation.

We currently have a very Stormy condition here in the states which leads us to all sorts of banging and bumps while trying to enjoy a comfortable ride with the wife. The clap would just reaffirm the reality of it all.

Good luck with your slot search.

Paul_S likes this.
  8. yellowz

yellowz
    Z Club Member

If it's stormy best take an umbrella.............................

9. JonB

JonB
    Z Club Member

Myself- I don't mind the 16" rims... certainly feels quite 'racy'... but my wife has developed a bone condition (not surprising at 85?), so she feels every shock... and English roads are now amongst the worst in the world!
    I do have adjustable coil-overs which I have adjusted as much as possible without affecting the handling, but since the Z was designed with 14"ers (as per my original all those years ago...), I think it might be worth a try?
    Obviously tyres (tires?) will make a difference too...
    Thanks for reading this post... has anyone else tried going back to them... I would be grateful for any input?

10. datsfun

datsfun
    Z Club Member

Can I ask what seats you have in the car ? Good quality seats will absorb and cushion some of the other suspension movements.

A larger profile tyre, most likely a 65 or 70 series on a 14" wheel will make a difference to the "feel" as well IMHO

11. JonB

JonB
    Z Club Member

Thanks for that...

Seats are original, but the plastic has now been replaced with leather... a bit of a Baby Boomer cheat, but extremely comfortable, and the smell is delicious!

I still think my wife's problems are down to suspension/ride... and any little thing will help!

I must profess that I have absolutely no clue about tyres and quite a lot of other things automotive, which is why I am trying to get some help!

(I was originally an aerospace engineer/designer/pilot and sometime trainee astronaut, and know absolutely nothing about land vehicles other than enjoying them...

...and still working, despite my very advanced years!)

My other classic car is a Citroën SM (which I also owned back in the early 70s... so you can probably see where my wife gets a different view on what comfort is actually about... these days she is much more likely to say "Can we take the Citroën?").

(Our dog does not care less, as long as he has his own space in the back... he loves both!...

...I am trying to find a photo I took back in about '76 with our then Z and our German Shepherd of the time being tickled by a famous rock star with the rear hatch open...)

Took her (the Z... not my wife!) out this morning to keep all the fluids moving, and the sound from those triple Webers under full acceleration must have taken 10 years off my life!

J

12. red baron

red baron Forum User

I have six 7 x 14 wolfrace with tyres and nuts. In very good condition. I am open to offers. My mobile is 07946 703 969 or email me at philip438@btinternet.com

13. JonB

JonB
    Z Club Member

Philip- thanks for that...

Have just bought a set of 4 from another member...

Best,

Jon