From Smoker to Sssssmokin’!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Delivered the above, with the addition of dipstick, washer jets and fuel rail - a bit nervous about the fuel rail return getting bits in it / blocked up, at least the washer jets are easy to clean out.

Using YB Plating in Crawley which is down the motorway from me ...

http://www.ybplatingltd.co.uk/

They seem very friendly and professional and wire up the bits. I wish I had known that they would keep bits separate as I had bags labelled with where the bits came from before I poured them into a single bag!

They acid soak most bits to clean them and didn't care how dirty they were. The pieces that may not be acid friendly are hand wire-brush cleaned.

Total cost is estimated at £120 inc VAT. Can't wait to pick up all that bling.

Weekend job is to clean up the orange peel, sort out electrical upgrades / re-wrap the tired looking loom with new tape and most important of all:

!!! ATTEND THE CLUB'S EXTRAORDINARY MEETING !!!

Be there or be square

92ca4bdc68024d2e7158ffe0d9688b47.jpeg

Got balance tube bits off with impact wrench no problems at all! Found the balance tube was leaking at one side which explains the random whistling I could hear when warm.

Going to plater tomorrow, very nervous about bits going missing so got a little geeky!
281ea5c7c79cf480657156849465300a.jpg

I like how you've labeled the brackets, just incase you try to use them as flywheel bolts :)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Actually John don't b too sad, he is wrong!!! Look what I just found!!!!!!! [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]

50100102adbbc582cbd55d4ead5ef544.jpg

yellowz

Club Member
Got balance tube bits off with impact wrench no problems at all! Found the balance tube was leaking at one side which explains the random whistling I could hear when warm.

Going to plater tomorrow, very nervous about bits going missing so got a little geeky!
281ea5c7c79cf480657156849465300a.jpg

Geeky or not I'd say it was a really good idea!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Just got home to these - bring on the weekend !!!! The theme of the weekend is high shine!!!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Getting ready for 7-8 child free hours on the Z tomorrow. I had no idea I'm slowing my Z by upgrading the alternator wiring; 1.2kg!!!!!

It is good thick gauge tinned thin wall cable though ...

1d25bb68e67777255374a41274b56772.jpg

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Well it was a beautiful weekend and I got busy wet sanding and de-orange peeling.

The photos don't really do it justice as they pick up the metallic paint flecks.

When my 5 year old came over to look at the car / "help" he said: "daddy why are you making it so shiny? Isn't that where the engine goes? I don't think that's a good use of your time, no one will see it." ... out of the mouth of babes!!!

Before
27fecc81295fe129378394e7ddeb3964.jpg

After

a3812fede27ecdd1941fff0d7d43d4ea.jpg

I've never been happy with the finish on my sugar scoops so I deviated from engine project for 20 mins and this is my first pass. Need to relacquer and reflatten for that mirror smooth finish.

Before
Before (you and see my test piece for an inch right in front of the light to show a side by side comparison.
8b3f35b109e338a4fe164753758a5cb1.jpg

After

900841167b5f870532acdce79ef9b7e2.jpg

FYI - 800 grit, 2000 grit, Farelca G3 /G10 and elbow grease!

Don't even bother with he rotary polisher - too aggressive - by hand is always best and you a achieve Karate Kid levels of wax on wax off muscles!!!

Last edited:

Russell

Club Member
That looks great!

I had my car painted a couple of years a go and still not been sanded back and polished. Out of the gun finish is pretty good but will get it all done when the bay is painted.
The guy doing it wont be too happy as its had 2 years to harden!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thank Russ. I'm much happier with it than when we last spoke.

If you notice that scoop has stone chips on the edge and cracks in the paint at the front (and undoubtedly rust beneath the crack) - it's sooooo hard to resist the temptation to take it off and deal with it properly! But if I do I will never stop!! Maybe a winter job.

The hardening is no bad thing - I personally would prefer it that way.

Just had confirmation that bling would be ready on Friday so roll on bling-tastic weekend!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Rob, that is brilliant! You had me laughing out loud! Being a perfectionist, this is a real test for me to walk away from defects!!! ;)

But all said and done, you are right. My target is car back on t'road before end of May!!

toopy

Club Member
Actually, have you rewired and relayed your headlights yet? could add that to the 'to do list' o_O

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Mr Toops,

The thought did totally cross my mind, but the neeeeed to drive the car this year tempered my enthusiasm!

The headlight relay stuff is still on the to do list as I'm re-wrapping parts of he wiring loom and it's actually not that big a job. (But I also said that about the engine [emoji12])

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ever started a job you wish you hadn't? Radiator bling ready - now the rest needs to be done [emoji30]

1d136640a1f9782ead6befb48f1ad2c4.jpg