First post, first Z?

Jackeria

New Forum User
Hey guys, first time posting into this forum I usually frequent retro rides and have had a number of "retro cars" including the current SB2 civic, I've been reading through this section a lot these past few months and see quite a bit of flack across a few threads about the cars this fella is bringing in from america now, rightly so some of them are a mess and I agree what's the point in bringing it in if its a rusty wreck, I've seen the same cars listed on carandclassic too with a few others that aren't on ebay and had been thinking about picking one up until I read all your posts.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C911146

I don't profess to be a 240/60/80 otaku of any kind or even a restoration guru. I'm just looking as a sort of young guy (28) for my foot in the door to Z ownership at a level that I can afford with some money left over to fettle with it a bit and to learn my way around the car as I've had my eyes on them for what feels like forever.

I'm just wondering if there is something I'm missing with these cars in my untrained eye. I consider them all cheap as "MOT'd" ones are all way above my budget, I don't have 20-25k to drop right now and that wouldn't teach me valuable skills about rust repair, I understand I'll be spending a fair amount of money and time making panels, buying more tools than I have and things but to be honest, that's a given with any classic car. What I want is an honest opinion whether you guys think these cars are over priced for what they are and whether I could get something better for a similar 7-10k for the initial car, I've got money aside for fixing it and panels though I will always earn more money with time and have a garage to put it etc. I'm starting to feel as though if I don't buy in now, I'll never be able to afford one if values keep going up and up, is that the right way to look at it?

I don't know how much you guys watch youtube, but I watch it all the time and that B is for build fella has kind of inspired me to just get out there and do what I want to do or at least attempt it without it being a ridiculously steep hill to climb.

...Yes I've seen the door skin, rear quarter and floor and underside being generally orange but what classic car isn't that hasn't had a lot of money thrown at it.
I know a LHD will never be as valuable etc etc but that's not what I really care about and some will say why not save for longer and find a RHD, well simply put, I've been saving 5 years as it is, the other half is also probably getting bored of me nattering on about getting one "one day"

chris frizzell

Club Member
got my car off simon nice guy the 280z . had rotted out floor rails at the end simple cut the rust out and weld as for the rest of the car there was hardly and rust the size of a credit card . may have paid a little too much be it is in mega nick for 43 years old .moggy 240 was gob smacked . if you can get one that runs well just need 4k on bits and a not to costly respray look for bits on ebay.com some will post and send as a gift to save you being mugged by the post office .but all in all you cant get a 240z 260z rot free for less than 20k plus in rhd so a 280z done to how you like it for less to me is a no brainer and 280z are better to live with day to day .crack on and enjoy. ps my 4 k in parts is with loads of upgrades so you could spend a lot less . chris

SacCyclone

Club Member
From the other side of the pond I can only tell you that £10K can get you a mostly rust free 240 zed that runs and drives. It will probably have sunbaked paint and interior and will need everything gone through but it can run and drive for that amount of money.
Plan on another £1500 to transport and ship and more money for import tax and mot items. In the end you will be in a driver car in europe for around £12-15K.
I am on the look for several chaps for this exact car but patience is a must.
The price increase recently has led to much lipstick being placed on rotten cars so be sure that you are very sure of the car before attempting to send your money across the pond. Good luck with your search and again, take your time.