Chroming quotation

I think I'll try S&T and report back - I don't need a perfect job. I'll take 'before and after' pics (but not after 12 months). I'm in Bristol in a couple of weeks so can take my bumper and discuss.

Same here, I'd prefer something useable. Is it worth painting the inside to help protect?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
All of 12 months garauntee , Seems a bit mean and not much confidence in their work quality......3yrs at least it should be !

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
All of 12 months garauntee , Seems a bit mean and not much confidence in their work quality......3yrs at least it should be !

Are you getting the '12 months' from my comment? If so that wasn't a timescale based on any guarantee, just a period I thought up.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Ah, ok - be nice to know for how long any plater gaurantees his work - should last several years imho !

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ian, you may find this interesting - you may not and of course you probably already know it. A 260Z front bumper is incredibly heavy compared to a 240Z front bumper. It is a far stronger bumper and is 'double-skinned' in the middle.

Paul Henley

Club Member
Never knew that Rob, I thought they were the same, been working on this car for 20 years and still learning new stuff about them!
Cheers

Ian

Club Member
Ian, you may find this interesting - you may not and of course you probably already know it. A 260Z front bumper is incredibly heavy compared to a 240Z front bumper. It is a far stronger bumper and is 'double-skinned' in the middle.
I actually didn't know that.

I am however not actually sure that my bumpers are actually 260Z bumpers and not 240Z ones as they look different to a lot of 260Z ones, but no one has been able to confirm this for me.

How does the double skinning look? As this might be a good way to tell which type I have.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ok I took this pic today of two rough bumpers I have. I was going to get quotes on re-chroming on these this week but they are just too bad (both have holes cause by rot). I have also been in contact with Harringtons but I'm having problems justifying the expense to myself (and my wife!).

The extra weight is more than the double-skin addition so I think it must be made of heavier gauge metal?

Attachments

• 20180402_160304.jpg
    20180402_160304.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180402_160315.jpg
    20180402_160315.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180402_160319.jpg
    20180402_160319.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Ian

Club Member
I have a strong feeling that mine are different from that, but I am not at home to check.

I would go for the Harrington bumper, but I am worried about the fitment, even the ones that do fit have a slightly different profile where it follows the curve of the bodywork than the original ones from what I've seen and I'm not sure I could accept it. But I have few options, been over a year and haven't found an original available.

I would love to got for an FRP one and get it chromed, even just for the weight saving alone. but you are looking near £1000 all in, I just can't bring myself to spend that on 1 bumper.

There are still two options, but both are a gamble on fitment. Plus they are for 240Z's, while I think my bumpers may be 240Z bumper I am not sure and haven't been able to confirm if 240Z bumpers can fit my car.

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/feat..._aKysCeFXlAfMhfYjybbWu-VPB_O4WtYUQaAuBv8P8HAQ

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02n04a01a/32-1099

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ian, one of those is a 260 the other a 240. Both are far too wide by about 3-4 cm. I don't think you can get a perfect fit unless you have it made to measure. These cars have suffered like your's and so they vary by 1-2 cm. The only way is get an old (but rust-free) bumper, cut/knock/weld it about until it fits and then get it rechromed. Or assemble a front bumper like the rear - in three sections.

My opinion of course.

I have a strong feeling that mine are different from that, but I am not at home to check.

I would go for the Harrington bumper, but I am worried about the fitment, even the ones that do fit have a slightly different profile where it follows the curve of the bodywork than the original ones from what I've seen and I'm not sure I could accept it. But I have few options, been over a year and haven't found an original available.

I would love to got for an FRP one and get it chromed, even just for the weight saving alone. but you are looking near £1000 all in, I just can't bring myself to spend that on 1 bumper.

There are still two options, but both are a gamble on fitment. Plus they are for 240Z's, while I think my bumpers may be 240Z bumper I am not sure and haven't been able to confirm if 240Z bumpers can fit my car.

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/feat..._aKysCeFXlAfMhfYjybbWu-VPB_O4WtYUQaAuBv8P8HAQ

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02n04a01a/32-1099

what about getting a us bumper to rechrome? I don't like the idea of a poorly fitting bumper either.