Classic Cars magazine article May 2018

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Smart buys 2018

Article by Quentin Smarmball in this months Classic Cars magazine touting 240Z as one to buy. Plenty of inaccuracies as usual and some pure comedy gold.

‘ The very first cars built are as collectable as the fabled 500 outside latch E Types. 1970 low VIN numbered cars potentially worth £100/150k restored ‘ :EXTRAlol:

Attachments

• FB81820D-46EE-4070-84D3-646549E16EB4.jpeg
    FB81820D-46EE-4070-84D3-646549E16EB4.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Smart buys 2018

Article by Quentin Smarmball in this months Classic Cars magazine touting 240Z as one to buy. Plenty of inaccuracies as usual and some pure comedy gold.

‘ The very first cars built are as collectable as the fabled 500 outside latch E Types. 1970 low VIN numbered cars potentially worth £100/150k restored ‘ :EXTRAlol:

any car below vin 12009 are worth 100k easy :)

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
It's just so flimsily written not worth discussing much further really. He's obviously just found out the earlier cars had a different spec. and fallen for the very US centric take that these cars are some kind of investment holy grail. There is no mention of the inferior US spec. on most of these cars or the fact they made many thousands, not hundreds of these so called 'series one' cars.

The very few first production cars of any classics are always collectable but the surviving cars in this category will already be owned by collectors/enthusiasts and certainly not available in need of restoration for a few thousand dollars if you scour the internet as he is insinuating with usual lazy journalism.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Yes good spot JK.
There was a piece at the side quoting Jon Newlyn and him pictured with his car.
When reducing the image size it cut off that bit.....here it is.

IMG_2903.jpg

Maybe he advised Uncle Quentin that early cars such as his were worth £ 100/150k. A cunning ploy there indeed if so, nice one Jon, like your style:EXTRAlol:

So 240Z was listed alongside BMW635, Porsche 356, Lancia Delta Integrale and Reliant Scimitar GTE as 5 smart buys 2018

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
But you did mention Samuri so it is mentioned after all !

Jons' can't be worth billions - it's been butchered to RHD losing all claim to be original - surely ?

Find me a bargain 356 or Integrale these days !!!

Why even mention Samuri at all, it has no relevance to the article and it's just you and your petty dislike. Pointless.

As it was nice to see an article that didn't mention them, especially one in popular press. There were other, regular inaccuracy's though. I'm happy not too see it as I think we should concentrate on getting all the factual items correct, along with all of the family models, especially seems as the scamuari is such a grey area with lack of hard documented info, growing numbers, lack of global appeal(except 3 or 4 cars), arguing over whether a Kevin Irons one is a one etc etc, Its not petty at all, i'm not alone on my island.

Hope you're enjoying the 968.

johnymd

Club Member
Maybe it's just me but I consider the 240z to be one of the alltime superb classics and very undervalued. There are very few classics I would chose over it, but then I just love these cars.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
glad you agree. not sure why my avatar is offensive though? :)

Ah, but I can see François' point of view too - the UK scene gets clouded and sometimes fogged out by the 'Samuri connection' as if it was the only thing Datsun Z related for UK fans.

Well, if you can't see why then there's no need for me to explain - be happy:S30: