240Z at Goodwood MM

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
hmmm 20k and didnt sell. Auctioner did his best

Shame, but not surprised having looked over the car on the Saturday. The paintwork left a lot to be desired of a car at the guide price it had, it was obviously still quite an original car though with the factory spot welds in the rear arches. I would have gone in today but didn't want to pay for a catalogue!

Yeh the Datsun didn't sell but the AC which had an estimate of 12-14k I think (and why I was attracted to it) sold for £40k.

Wow, seriously impressive. I've got a few photos on my phone. It looked like it should be a lot of fun!

Saw a very dodgy 240Z there, complete with old man's cap in the boot!!

dec7e62cf274c56eb74582af9ec2d05a.jpg

112d11ec6ef500cd77e902ed2962a1e7.jpg

Guilty of the car, the old mans cap and a lot of the junk belongs to the other half of the ownership who won't be seen without his cap! :rofl: I can only take credit for the leather bag in the back ground. We managed to get around the track on Saturday morning as well and I think were the only 240z there other than the auction car over the weekend.

I met a really interesting Kiwi chap this morning who's dad had the first 240Z into NZ and owned a Datsun dealership back in the day.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
I had a look at the white car on Saturday. Looked OK, a few paint chips, along the swage line at the bottom of the door and cills there was some signs of work and the joints between the sugar scoops and the wings weren’t clean either.

Shame, but not surprised having looked over the car on the Saturday. The paintwork left a lot to be desired of a car at the guide price it had, it was obviously still quite an original car though with the factory spot welds in the rear arches. I would have gone in today but didn't want to pay for a catalogue!

Wow, seriously impressive. I've got a few photos on my phone. It looked like it should be a lot of fun!

Guilty of the car, the old mans cap and a lot of the junk belongs to the other half of the ownership who won't be seen without his cap! :rofl: I can only take credit for the leather bag in the back ground. We managed to get around the track on Saturday morning as well and I think were the only 240z there other than the auction car over the weekend.

I met a really interesting Kiwi chap this morning who's dad had the first 240Z into NZ and owned a Datsun dealership back in the day.

Sounds like its a good car really. Just showing its age/patina? Hows the car with it recent mods?

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Sounds like its a good car really. Just showing its age/patina? Hows the car with it recent mods?

It looked like it had a blow over respray at some point with most of the panels left on the car. The sugar scoops had been painted into the wings rather than removed. There was some paint peel in the front arch with some minor rust, however the paint had cracked in various places and had imperfections. That said the interior looked very complete, didn’t get a look in the engine bay. I think it was a very honest looking car which someone had tried to show some love to at some point. With some light restoration and a decent respray it would look like a decent car. Hard to say what may have been lurking underneath though. I wouldn’t have said the end bid of 20k ish was unreasonable with the correction it would have needed.

Overall very pleased, it drives like a completely different car now. I’ll try and find the time to do a more in depth update to my thread shortly with pictures. Not sure I’ve got the ride height right yet.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
There is also a 240 (but LHD) in the Classic Car Auction later in the month:

https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/datsun-240z-8910

So what do we reckon - I think it will sell and go for the top estimate.

Similarly 'estimated' is this TR3:

https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/triumph-tr3

I think that will go for substantially more.

I find it fun guessing but you really need to see the cars 'in the flesh'. Wish I could go but not this time I'm away.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So what do we reckon - I think it will sell and go for the top estimate.

Similarly 'estimated' is this TR3:

https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/triumph-tr3

I think that will go for substantially more.

I find it fun guessing but you really need to see the cars 'in the flesh'. Wish I could go but not this time I'm away.

Well the Datsun sold for 24,750 and the TR3 23,100.

So Datsuns are still fetching good money which is encouraging and as long as Quentin is still tipping them they will rise.